AccessoriesStreakSmartTips & Deals

Dell Streak LCD screen and digitizer replacement available for $150

Streak-lcd-replacement Since accidents happen and there doesn't seem to be a foolproof way to get a Dell Streak replaced or repaired if the screen breaks, you may end up having to take matters into your own hands.

But before your DIY project can begin, you need the right parts.

That's where the keyword-stuffed "original genuine OEM brand new Dell Streak full LCD display monitor screen+touch touchscreen digitizer repair replace replacement" kit comes in. In addition to the LCD and touchscreen, the $150 package includes a housing tool and cross, T5, and T6 screwdrivers.

Instructions on how to use all these parts/tools are not included, however, so you'll need to rely on instinct or study iFixit's Streak teardown before you dive in (at your own risk, of course). The LCD and digitizer are said to have been "taken out from original devices," though according to iFixit, the LCD is bonded to the Gorilla Glass in the front panel "with very strong 3M adhesive."

Since the glass isn't included in the kit, you're unfortunately on your own if that's the only thing you broke.

[Amazon]

32 thoughts on “Dell Streak LCD screen and digitizer replacement available for $150

Where can I buy a PDMI connector?!?

• No glass? Is it even possible to break the LCD without breaking the glass? My glass is cracked but my LCD is fine.

Hi All,

I’m also brokd the LCD display but glass cover is find, device fall down from my pocket.
    I follow IFixit’s instructions repair by my self.

Parts come from GCR. purchase via E B A Y.
    But I’m discover, glass & touch sense look like come together, I try remove touch sense out of screen, Fault, toch sense broke like glass

Maybe totally replace glass include LCD display is only solution for Our’s DELL Streak.
    My english too pool, forgive me please.

• When I cracked the glass on my Streak Dell replaced the screen free of charge (on the O2 network in Britain). I was expecting the worst after reading about others on the forums but to their credit Dell were great. Collected it, sent it to Hungary, delivered it back in ten days. YMMV. Worth talking to Dell first, at least.

• By the way, the glass and LCD are not separable in any practical way. The kit you’re talking about *must* contain the glass too, already bonded.

STRONG ADHESIVE?
    DON’T MAKE ME LAUGH!
    My Glass shattered, the touch-screen itself underneath still works.
    But the broken pieces of the glass above fell right off . . and more are still coming lose . .

I don’t think you’re right, Jenn. It seems that the glass is indeed included:

“Package includes:
    1. LCD Screen x1
    2. Touch Screen x1 <--------------- Glass? 3. Free Cross Screwdriver x1 4. Free T5 Screwdriver x1 5. Free T6 Screwdriver x1 6. Free Housing Tool x1"

Or is the Touch Screen something else?

The touchscreen is the digitizer. Based on iFixit’s teardown, it looks like the LCD and digitizer and fused, and the glass is separate. I think Jenn is right and the glass is not included. It is just the LCD and touchscreen digitizer.

The product page says that anything not listed is not included. If the Gorilla Glass was included, I think the company would say so. Also in the description they say malfunctioning LCD or touchscreen. Nothing about shattered glass.

IFixit says it can be separated with careful prying. I don’t think the glass is included or else Hi-Tech would’ve said so. Gorilla Glass is a selling point and not something that they would omit if it wasn’t included.

That’s good to know for DIY repairs, provided that you can find the glass. Can you see any of the adhesive?

• This is my story as well… so I am hoping that it’s an error in translation, and that to the seller, touchscreen means gorilla glass. I’m waiting on this confirmation, and then I’m in for one.

Does anyone agree with me?

• Nope, don’t see anything looking like adhesive . .
    not gonna poke around in the broken glass too much though . .
    still trying to get somebody else to pay for the repair <.<

• I was lucky, only the bottom edge really shattered, the part of the glass that is over the black border is a mess and those pieces were about to fall out all the way home from the accident. Over the actual display I have about four big long cracks that go all across the display, and those pieces also seemed a bit loose. I put a plastic screen protector on it and clear packing tape on the heavily shattered bottom edge and that seems to be holding it together well. In my case, the final result actually works and looks decent, the cracks in the glass are only noticeable with bright backgrounds and at certain angles.

• Hey guys, I’ve been facing major issues with my touch screen. Random buttons get pressed on their own and the unlock slider is unresponsive. But everything goes back to normal if I reboot the device.. for a while.
    Do you think I have a problem with the digitizer or is it software related? (I faced this issue after upgrading to steve’s rom and even after downgrading again)
    Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated. Really struggling with this.
    Thanks

• Yes I have. As I said, everytime I power the device off and on, it works fine for a while (about an hour or so) and then it starts to lag and behave erraticaly again. I’m guessing this is a software issue, I am currently trying different roms to see if it works. had this problem with steve’s roms and o2 2.1 8105 build. no problem on o2 2.1 6941 build.

• Powering off/on is not the same thing as recalibrating via recovery mode, so I just wanted to make sure that base was covered. Good luck! Maybe someone in the forum can help?

• There are a number of these on ebay that say the glass is included, I’m wondering what is the truth

• O2 treated me well too, though I got a refurb streak.

• My screen becomes unresponsive after I keep the streak in my trouser pocketwith the screen facing my leg. This requires me to turn the phone off 2 or 3 times (im not talking about rebooting).

• In case anyone else faces this issue:

I went back to o2 2.1 6941 then upgraded to o2 2.1 8105 then to steve’s 1.6.1
    I re-calibrated via recovery mode after each rom install.

Seems to fix the problem: working great so far.
    Thanks for everything Jenn.

• Yep, my lcd doesn’t work in the bottom left corner and my glass is fine. As if I didn’t regret buying this thing enough already.

• Glass is actually included. Gorilla glass is “bonded” to the lcd via some adhesive. Pretty easy to separate. The original is also glued to the streak body using 3M adhesive. Much harder – requires more patience to remove though technically, when you are at the point that you need to replace, there’s no real benefit to protecting the original gorilla glass or lcd.

The way I read it this didn’t include the glass. And yes, you can damage the LCD without breaking the glass. I did it! Look at the comment from geek65535 above. He posted a link to a UK company selling the entire repair kit with the LCD bonded to the glass!

• donde compro la pantalla….por favor dejen mas datos