Change Dell Streak screen-off animations with Screen Off and Lock [Video]
If you're looking for a super easy way to change the screen-off animation on your Dell Streak or Streak 7, then you just have to check out an app called Screen Off and Lock. It's free in the Market (there's also a donate version for $1.29) and what it does is give the Streak's power button a break by letting you turn off and lock the screen by tapping a shortcut instead.
It sounds boring, but it doesn't just make your screen go black like it does when you press the power button. It turns it off with sound and animation!
The sounds are customizable and can be disabled if you think screens should be seen and not heard, but the killer feature—and the reason I'm telling you about the app—is the animation. There are 15 animation styles to choose from and rather than sit here and describe them to you, I shot a short HD video to show some of them to you instead.
Pretty cool, right?
After you install it on your Streak, there will be two new icons in your app drawer:
- Configure Screen Off, which is where you access all of the settings
- Screen Off and Lock, which is what you tap to turn off the screen
You can put the Screen Off and Lock shortcut anywhere you want; as you saw in the video, I put mine in the dock on my Streak 7 for easy access. And speaking of my Streak 7, here's a list of the main elements shown on my home screen (in case you're curious):
- ADWLauncher EX with GFX Android's Honeycomb ADW theme
- Nexus Pro from Honeycomb live wallpaper
- Beautiful Widgets Super Clock weather/clock widget with Honeycomb skin
- No Lock widget (to disable lock screen)
- Battery Indicator (battery percentage icon in notification area of taskbar)
Screen Off and Lock may not be a must-have app for the Streak, but I think it's definitely a damn-cool-to-have.