Good and EVOSoftware Updates

Sprint now shipping HTC EVO 4G with Android 2.3 [Update: No, it isn't]

Evo-4g-gingerbread You may very well be running a custom ROM based on the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) leak on your HTC EVO 4G right now, but guess what. According to Sprint, new phones come with the official Gingerbread build right out of the box.

The black device is listed as out of stock at the moment, but the white one is available for anyone who wants to buy a "new" phone that's almost a year old and whose identically priced successor could be released as early as next week.

For everyone who's already months deep into their ownership of the EVO 4G, it looks like an OTA software update notification should be appearing in your status/task bar very soon.

How "finished" last month's leaked build (version 4.12.651.1) was compared to whatever will be riding the airwaves soon and is currently shipping on new phones is unknown, but it's probably best not to expect to see a new version of Sense. Perhaps a trip to my local Sprint store is in order today, if only to ask about the new software.

Evo-gb-sprint

Update: Oh well. Sprint has confirmed to Engadget that this was an error. The EVO still ships with Froyo and will be updated to Gingerbread as soon as the carrier can do it.

[Sprint] Thanks to everyone who sent this in!

17 thoughts on “Sprint now shipping HTC EVO 4G with Android 2.3 [Update: No, it isn't]

• I wish they would expedite this update. I’m handing my evo 4g off to my wife once the evo 3d comes out and i want to have a freshly installed rooted stock rom before that happens.

• Sprint has already said this was a mistake, your a little late!

• I’m still seeing “Ships with Android 2.2” when I went to that source link. Is it possible that they’re testing this in limited areas (the Sprint site asks for your zip code before you can get to the page)?

Same here the HTC EVO 4G not shipping with anything new. They are the same as the ones out already. JGreene is right. So don’t go buy one cause there is nothing new. If you want a new phone with new update wait until HTC EVO 3D comes out.

• I published the post before Sprint admitted the mistake and updated it with the new info.

How better will this update make the phone

the leaked gingerbread rom i’ve been running for about a month tripled my battery life but is otherwise mostly identical to what you probably already have. it’s still sense 1, with a better highlighter and a few more fonts, plus voip support

• The menus are better organized, the transitions are smoother, and if the phone is also faster. Most people it would make a difference to are probably running it already.

• Forget about Gingerbread, the new Sense is what we should all be anticipating. I think it brings a lot of new functionality to the phone and might sway some of you AOSP fanatics.

Is it better to get the evo 3d

• At this point, it is generally considered pretty unlikely that we will be getting Sense 3.0 on the EVO 4G. Some suggest that even expecting a bump to Sense 2.0 may be a hope which will remain unfulfilled.

We’ll see, though. I’m intrigued enough by 3.0 to strongly consider a trial with the Sense 3.0 custom ROM which is out there.

• I just got a brand new EVO 4G on Friday, (They were out of refurb’s, so that had to hand me a Nice new sparkly EVO) and it came with 2.2
    I would be really upset if one to two days later they were shipping with 2.3
    (Just an FYI my last one broke and I went through insurance)I’m kinda glad i did, i got a brand new EVO out of the deal, new charger and cord too!!!

• Thats what I was referring to. I’m using Virus’ custom Sense 3.0 rom and while it has some bugs, the features of the new Sense are really nice.

• Just how “big” is this ROM. I’ve seen some mention that makes me a bit nervous about being able to get all of my apps installed after loading it up.

Earlier this week, the HTC Evo 4G page on the Sprint website stated that the latest Evo 4G would come with Android 2.3 Gingerbread preloaded. Now given the fact that Android 2.3 was supposedly available already, existing HTC Evo 4G owners were ecstatic as the likelihood of their phones getting the update anytime this month were high.

Well it looks like it was a false alarm as Sprint has come forward and admitted ot the mistake. That “Now with Android 2.3 “ sign that went up on the Sprint website was incorrect and Sprint officially stated the update would be coming soon only.

We’re wondering if they got their Android devices mixed up online and their web team accidentally put the sign up for the Evo 4G when in fact it was meant for the HTC EVO 3D? After all, the HTC Evo 3D is expected to launch in the next few weeks and has Android 2.3 Gingerbread confirmed to be preloaded