Good and EVO

Get out of your HTC EVO contract, ETF-free

Cancel-sprint-no-etf

If you check your most recent Sprint bill, you'll likely find the following statement tucked away in small print where Sprint hopes you'll miss it:

Terms & Conditions Changes for Consumers

Effective 9/9/11, the Administrative Charge will increase to $1.50 per line for customers that receive the charge. For details, visit sprint.com/taxesandfees. In addition, the Sprint consumer Terms (Ts&Cs) are changing. Please review them carefully at your local Sprint store or sprint.com/termsandconditions.

What this means for readers of G&E is that, if you act right now, you can get out of your Sprint contract without any early termination fee, and you can keep your HTC EVO at whatever subsidized price you already paid. This must be done before September 30, and you must cite this specific fee increase as the reason you wish to exit your contract.

To complete this process, you will need to call Sprint Retentions at 888-211-4727 (or *2 from your HTC EVO), options 4, 5, 2. This cannot be done over Sprint's online chat.

And while some users have reported that Sprint has allowed them to stay on month-to-month without a contract, others are reporting that they were forced to cancel service completely and port their number out within a specified time frame. Some have also been able to negotiate various deals to keep them on with Sprint but, as always, your miles may vary.

Admittedly, when coupled with Sprint's recent decision to increase their ETF to $350, as well as a lack of clarity regarding the future of Sprint's WiMAX network (which will directly affect users of the HTC EVO 4G, EVO 3D, and EVO View 4G), Sprint has left a bad taste in many users' mouths. For those who fall into this category, this could be the perfect opportunity to get out. At the same time, however, Sprint remains unparalleled when it comes to price and data offerings. Most likely, leaving Sprint for another carrier will result in higher monthly charges and data caps or throttling.

So do you plan on using this small fee increase as a way to leave Sprint, or are you happy enough with the HTC EVO and the service you already receive to stay? Sound off in the comments and let us know what you plan to do.

[Slick Deals] Thanks, Scott!

John F

119 thoughts on “Get out of your HTC EVO contract, ETF-free

• WOW SWEET!! I plan on droping out and jumping on my parents sprint plan and get a new HTC EVO 3D! and at the same time only having to pay $30 a month cause I don’t use any mins thanks to any mobile anytime NICE!!!! Thanks For This Post Can’t Wait To Try It I’ll let ya know how it goes

• Wow, this is great news! I’ve been looking for a way out of my Sprint contract as I’ve been so unhappy with their 3G speeds and the continued lack of 4G (and complete lack of Wimax expansion). I’ll have to start looking at Verizon phones soon. Too bad they didn’t launch the Galaxy S II :(

I just called and they were willing to cancel my account on the spot. So if you want out, now is the time!!

I wonder if you can cancel out of your current contract and then signing right back up and be counted as a new contract, you know to take advantage of the ridiculous $20 price tag for the EVO 3D

Can I cancel my account this way and then be eligable for the $19.99 EVO 3d thru wirefly as a new sprint customer?

• IF you are past your 30 day return window, they would have to honor your contract the same as they would if you’d bought your phone 3 months ago. My guess is that if you still have time to return the new 3D, they’d ask you to do so. It’s a calendar game.

• If you’re using the same customer info (name, etc.) a few red flags may pop. The idea for letting you out is to avoid charging you the ETF but not to be taken advantage of to get the new customer pricing. Likely won’t work, friend.

• Likely not. Best bet if you want to stay with Sprint and get this price is to activate a new line and cancel the old line when its contract is up. Not saying it’s always worth it but that’s how you get the new customer pricing.

had a third line i just got 3 months ago,never used it much.cancelled,no ETF. sprint rep was very nice,i think she was flirting with me ;)

• So could I get out of my evo 3d contract, and then get the galaxy s II for the contract fee with a new contract?

• Its there any way to take advantage of this but not quit sprint? basically get rid of my contract

Is it any sprint phone or tablet? Thinking bout canceling my EVO view tablet contract if possible…I may even cancel my contract on my EVO 4G and Geaux with another phone or even another provider..

• I called and they told me they cant do it because its under $1.99 admin fee ( basically they can ‘only increase it by a dollar to abide by law’ and the admin fee is $1.50) so therefore if it was over $1.99 then it would change the contract and i could cancel without ETF.. But they told me no can!! GRRR

• After talkin to the rep, he referred me to the manager and the manager went ahead and said it was ok. persistant pays off my Evo friends!!!!!

• Sounds like a load of BS from a Sprint Rep, as your next post shows.

• if you cancel, what happens to your phone number? assuming you want to port it

I got my contract changed to month-to-month with the first call… YIPEE!!! :)
    Just be little persistent!!

How did you get them to change it to month to month Raj?

Last January the exact same thing happened…they changed it by 7 cents…I demanded to be released from my contract because it is a “material change to a valid contract”…they gave me 3 options…quit and leave…go to month to month…or re-up with a new 2 yr deal and get a 480$ credit…I love sprint so I took the 20$ per month contract…ill be tryin to obtain the same result after this “matrial change to a valid contract”…last time I read that u have to use that specific buzz term…ill update in a few days…good luck to all

does this work if I have a family plan? only one of the phones are an evo.

• Would this apply if i only wanted to terminate one of my lines. I have two EVO’s but only want to terminate one of those lines?.

• what about just signing i new contract with them, thro a big enough fit about breaking the terms of present contract demand a new one, which would mean new phones….. yes???

• This works for all Sprint accounts not just ones with EVOs.

• That’s exactly what I want to do any advise?

Going to try to go month to month. More than likely they will do it if you are a long time sprint customer that gets the free upgrade every year. I have had sprint for 11 years and if they dont give me a option they are going to lose someone that is going to have a cell phone for the rest of there life. So, the smart thing to do is to let me go month to month. I already have verizon triple play and I am two seconds from having that quad play. lol. Atleast that what I am going to tell them. ;)

Just tried this…..Told them I wanted to cancel all 4 lines because of this fee increase, she said OK. There was no questioning why, there was no negotiation on their end. Not only were they willing to cancel my service on the spot, they also told me I only have until the end of my CURRENT billing cycle, which is in 4 days (Not the 30 days that is specified in the Terms and Agreements). Doesn’t make much sense considering the fee increase doesn’t even take effect until the 9th. Looks like I will make the move to Verizon.

• What if you have more than 1 line? Will they do it on all the lines or just one? When you say go month to month does this mean that at any time you can upgrade to any phone at the discounted rate and renew your 2 year contract?

It was a 20$ per month discount for the account …not per line unfortunatley…and no it didn’t get u an upgrade any faster…month to month just means u can cancel the account without penalty..y

I just asked… The rep was kind and she spoke to her Manager and came back stating it will be done. Simple. So, little persistence and more luck, I guess..

Tell them that this is what you want/wish and would make you retain the service.. Little persistence and some luck on your side..and you should be good to go!

• It doesn’t do me any good since I plan on keeping Sprint as long as they have lower prices but I was able to get them to switch my account to month to month. At least that’s available if something big happens and Sprint no longer has the best prices. Hopefully the announcement in October has to do with 4g and the evo line. I hope it’s that they are expanding Wimax till lte kicks in.

• I’m unsatisfied with the 3G speed and the lack of 4G stability in my area. Also none of the new phones from Sprint attract me now… but Sprint is the cheapest compare to Verizon and AT&T… so I guess I’ll stay with Sprint… Hopefully the Galaxy S II will come to Sprint!

Just called used “material change to a valid contract” line, now month to month.

• I just called used the “material change to a valid contract” They told me when you sign a contract that it can goes as far as a 2 dollar increase. As of right now she told me (manager) that it would take another 30 sum old cents to get out. But in return (why I love sprint) they gave me $52 off my current bill and an additional $20 off my future bills. I also think that since I have a small past due amount (thankx to Evo3D purchase) effected me greatly

My “Sprint Surcharges” are $11.28 and it’s increasing from that? That kind of pisses me off. All the “B.S.” marketing they do to say they have the cheapest plan, but they throw in these “Surcharges”. Eleven years with Sprint and they have done NOTHING for me except increase the price of my plan from year to year. I hear all this talk about my friends or from people in the forums that they have received many discounts from complaining or being a loyal customer or what not. That has never happened to me. WTH?

• i just called and was told i would have to cancel entirely. When i stated i knew people who had been able to switch to month to month the rep i was talking to stated that the reps that had done that would be “dealt with internally” and that it was against “sprint policy” to offer month to month..

somebody please help? i don’t want to cancel my service, which they said i could do and pull out of the ETF. How did you all get them to change to month to month?

I called and was told cancel or not, but you can’t use the MAterial change to get out of the 2 year contract. Guess it depends on who you talk to. I have 4 lines and don’t need the other three, so I will be cancelling the other three as soon as I port them to Google Voice.

I’m not having any luck changing my account to month to month…Tried twice. Any advice

Just called, told me that I would have to wait until the fee changes from what I am paying now for the Administrative Charge, which is 0.99, to the 1.50 charge, before I could change my contract to a month-to-month basis. Rep also said that not all accounts will see the fee increase. Definitely not leaving Sprint to go somewhere and pay more just because of a 50cent increase.

Anyone getting a hassle, do not accept no for an answer. THEY CAN NOT LEGALLY CHANGE THE TERMS OF YOUR AGREEMENT IF YOU DON”T ACCEPT THEM. After having to hang up on the first person who had no idea what I meant, I got a knowledgeable person. I said I want to cancel service because the terms and fees of my contract are being changed and I do not agree to them.

There was some minor attempt to talk me out of it and negotiate. I was dis-satisfied since day one because first I had no 4G in my market and then when 4G launched here the coverage literally ends in my backyard it does not reach me. I had been trying to disconnect since the 60 day mark and they told me to suck an egg for the past year.

I was told the following. Must Port/disconnect within 30 days of the terms going into effect on Sept 9. ETF will NOT be automatically credited, you must call back in to request that credit on your final bill. Advisable to PORT/Disconnect BEFORE next billing cycle starts to avoid being billed for extra month. I’ll take it!

I had no interest in staying a month to month customer so didn’t ask about that. But I see no reason why they would give that option. either you accept the contract modification, or you don’t.

• K,

Where have you been? None of the phones on Sprint attract you? They have the best line-up of Android phones of any carrier. EVO 3D > Sensation/MyTouch4g, Photon > Atrix, EVO = Thunderbolt. Nexus S 4G > Nexus S. Epic 4G > HTC Merge/Desire Z/G2 What more could you want?

And as for the Galaxy S II, it was already announced as the Sprint Samsung Epic 4G Touch and will be out on 9/16. Sprint will be the first US Carrier with the Galaxy S II and the only one with real 4G until the Droid/Nexus Prime comes out for Verizon.

I can only understand your comment if this the only mobile news and tech site you read.

• Is it going to be possible to do this, and then RE-UP with a 2 year contract in order to get the Samsung Galaxy SII?

• it’s not the surcharge that you should be asking for. it’s the arbitration rules that mean the most to me. Granted..I read all 30 pages of each and highlighted all the differences. I don’t want the JAMS’s representing me “neutrally” they would never be my pick. The fact that it’s implied that it’s forced is a bigger breach of contract than a meager increase of admin fees.

I was shut down on the Month-to-Month request also. I spoke to 3 folks and they all progressively got harder on the stance. The “Manager” told me that there is flat out no way to change an account to Month-to-Month from a contract. “You have to exit the contract to waive the ETF under these terms”. I’m still not buying it. I am sure there is a way to do it, just like there are ways to activate other CDMA phones on their network without a contract…I’m pissed now though and am seriously going shopping @ Verizon. I think with 3 lines the rates are pretty damn close, and Sprint’s speeds have been blowing hard for months now.

I would cancel entirely then if I were you then turn around and have my evo rehooked up they definitly do have month to month accounts with no contract if you already own a phone those reps are stupid the only draw back would be that you will probaly lose your phone # and activation fees.

I don’t want to cancel, I just want a new phone. Any idea if you can get a new one?

Do you think we could get an upgrade then?

• Just called Sprint and they gave me 2 options.: cancel service or a credit to cover the increase that the fee would create over the remainder of my account. BTW I’m a 12 year customer.

• I hear ya. Rumor has it the Droid bionic is coming to Verizon on 9/9. And a family data plan soon also. Also, sprint Rep just told me if Verizon has great service I’m your area and Sprint doesn’t … it will stay that way because of the contract. Sprint has with Verizon.

Seems to me sprints stance has got considerably stiffer since last january…they probably realized that they have the best plan and most of us wont go anywhere…

• yeah so i just called in on a different issue while talking to them about the ETF thing:

when i started my service, i was given, like many others, a “dud” 3vo. It had the power cycling problem, and no matter what i did, even with 5 to 6 hour “working perfectly” times, it would always power cycle, while randomly or while i was watching. I took the phone in, AFTER reading all the articles about these lemon phones and how no amount of software tweaking or reset helped, and was told by the same sullen guy i bought my phone from that he would “hard hard reset” it. (yes, he actually used those words. in reply to when i said i had already formatted it, hard reset it, etc. probably just a reference to factory reset for idiots, which he apparently thought i was)

after another hour worth of driving, arriving home and setting EVERYTHING back up on my now completely wiped phone (no recovery at this point because it was my first week owning an evo), it promptly began power cycling again.

at this point, i called corporate and demanded an exchange. they put in a ticket at the store, and the next day, upon arrival, i was told my phone would be exchanged, and that i could keep the original charger for “all the time you’ve had wasted by this experience”

this statement was made to me by a rep working as the greeter at the store, and for the exchange i was given to the SAME sullen employee, jeff, who had both sold me the phone and fed me the “hard hard reset” line.

when i hand him my phone, he takes my old charger. when i tell him i’ve been given it by another rep, he shakes his head, grabs it off the counter in front of me and puts it away, mumbling something about “htc requires these returned with device” and when i ask where the other rep is he says “out to lunch.”

i left the store utterly disgusted.

i made a few calls to file a complaint and get credit for the charger, or one sent to me, and was given a run around and told that, basically, i wasn’t going to get one because of the disconnect between store and phone support.

i wrote a couple more emails stating my dissatisfaction that something a corporate worker at a corporate store wearing a sprint name tag being paid with THEIR money could give me something and then another employee could effectively steal it from me, and the people that own the company that gives them those yellow ass shirts can’t do anything for me as the customer that was wronged. It’s really, as i told the rep, more about the principle of the matter.

anyways, the point this whole story was about, was that this issue was once again brought up this morning, when i made a reference to it while speaking on the ETF issue, and when done (re) explaining the issue, i got a rep saying over and over, “what is it you want me to do?” i stated, again that i would like credit for a charger or a charger and she transferred me to her manager, basil.

OKAY now this is where i was getting to. Basil, he’s got a bit of a power trip going on. i don’t know what the hell this guy’s problem is, but he gets on the phone with me and starts talking. I interrupt him at some point when he says something that i don’t agree with, and the asshole has the nerve to stop me, say “can i finish? please don’t interrupt me”

now, this doesn’t seem like much of a statement, no. But keep in mind, i am a Sprint customer on the phone with their customer service, who are all being paid to be there. I’m a customer sitting at home on my own time paying THEM.

anyways, the guy gets to be more and more of a dick, eventually straight talking over me, lecturing me, and even going as far as to say that it’s no longer “about the principle of the matter” because i’m “looking for compensation”, a concept, while i still don’t quite understand cause that seems perfectly sensible, not to mention logical, to me. He was being a general belligerent douchebag to the point where it was shocking me someone from customer service was talking to me like this, so i interrupt him and ask him for his name and reference number.

motherfucker gives me his first name only hurriedly and when i ask for his last name and department he says “…no”

i ask him, “excuse me? you’re saying you won’t give me your name or reference number?”

now i know these calls are recorded too, and while i wasn’t being the nicest guy in the world, i was being civil and he was clearly in the wrong by denying me that information.

i ask him again, and he refuses. After some more arguing, in which i can already hear panic starting to creep into his voice, he gives me his first name ONLY and refuses to give me his last name.

he offers to let me talk to his boss, and i hang up on him. I was hella done with dealing with that shit.

anyways, i just got out of the shower and i have 6 missed calls (1 call under legal definition of harassment) from sprint, 4 of which are from basil (the asshole who would only give me his first name), with the last of the four as a voicemail of him apologizing, and the last 2 are from HIS supervisor, who is doing the same.

moral of the story is don’t let customer service talk down to you “cop lecture” you, or anything of the sort. they are being PAID and you are PAYING. their job is to serve YOU.

also, as far as the ETF, i was told the month to month only applies if you have less than 60 days left on contract, as after 2 months, you automatically agree to the “material change in terms and conditions”

• If some of you want to stay with sprint but are under contract and they won’t let you go month to month you can always go this route:
    Port your number to boost, keep boost for at least 3 months and then port back to sprint as a new customer. After 3 months most companies consider you a new customer. For those who want to cancel right now and come back and sign up again, sprint will most likely deny your discounted phone.

Don’t they understand we can walk, flash @ Metro for a month, then come back and add our phones back at a month to month plan? No difference but time saved. I understand it’s petty, but it’s a legal opportunity we have the right to take advantage of. They (corporations in general) take advantage of all of us every second of the day…

• What does Flash @ Metro mean?

• I’m now month-to-month! Thanks for this. I don’t reset until next April, but now I can leave any time now. I’m gonna wait till Oct and see if the iphone 5 does come on Sprint. If not, I’m jumping to Verizon where I can expect to pay more and have my internet usage choked, but at least I’ll look like an early adopter!

• What if the account (family plan with 2 phones) is in my name, and I cancel and then we re-sign up under my wife’s name?

Yep that was easy just told to cancel my account cause of the fee and now I’m free no hassle at all. I just ordered the evo 3d off of wirefly for 69.99 adding it to my folks plan it will only cost me 30 bucks a month now!! I LOVE THIS SITE FIRST 300 BONUS MIN. NOW A EVO 3D AND A SMALLER BILL THANKS

• so grateful for this post. I called sprint and the rep was great. She offered to take off $20 for the additional fee for the course of the contract or let me cancel my account right off the bat. I was politely persistent that I wanted to get off of the contract and go on a month to month basis. She put me on hold for about 10 minutes then said her supervisor gave the green light to do so. So now I’m happily with sprint without a contract and with a $20 credit. Remember to be nice!

• i called and asked and they said they don’t do one time upgrades anymore, i threatened to cancel if i don’t get it and they still wouldn’t give it to me.

By law, they can’t give out their last names due to security reasons. But from your experience you should speak with the retention dept.

I CAN’T TELL IF SARCASM! LOL

I hope it is though.

Android >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> iPhone

Metro P of S…They can flash a CDMA phone to work on their network, np. Same thing with boost, virgin and I think even verizon has a way to get them on their network. I believe it was passed into law 3-4 yrs back that if a phone has radios that can work on another carrier, they have to let you in without forcing you into a new contract/device.

GUYS I guess i am not very smart when it comes to these DAMN contracts, Here is the thing … I have 4 lines under my name for a yer … 2 EVOs and 2 EPICs, with 20% discount I pay around 230 bucks monthly.
    So with this increase, what benefit I can get (if any) … Don’t know if month to month will be a better option. Plus I do use my evo to tether my tablet all day :)

Any suggestion would be Highly appreciated, Thanks.

You mean you are going to get your monthly bill reduced by $20 each month?

When using a corporate discount, wouldn’t switching to a month to month plan affect the discount? Also, wouldn’t adding an additional line in the future required a contract? Sounds nice because I’d rather have the upcoming Samsung.

They say I have to cancel completely!! Any advice please??

Same here cancel or port out.

• You can leave Sprint and have the phone flashed for Boost if you don’t mind 3G reception.

You should probably be set to port your number to another service when you cancel, but federal law requires transferable numbers for cell phones so Sprint is pretty much stuck letting you take the number with you.

• I just checked my bill for August and no where do I find this notice of fee, is this supposed to apply to every Sprint customer or is it only some markets?

• I was given only two options by Sprint retention: cancel the account with no ETF or stay and pay. I asked about cancelling the contract and staying month to month, but was told that wasn’t an option (if the customer doesn’t want to pay the fee increase, they must leave).

• My rep also told me that the ETF will be increasing for new contracts in the future (I think he said it will be $350, maybe $300). And he said I should stay with Sprint because the major handset currently missing from the Sprint line up will soon be available.

i just called and cancelled 2 of my lines with no problem

I called and kept my service because, really, I’m not going to find cheaper (27% discount). They credited my account $30 as I cited the new fees as the reason for my contacting them. I’m pretty happy with their customer support. I am staying with them but wondering if I should jump ship and return for … apple shit.

So they let you cancel 2 family share lines without cancelling the entire contract? I have two Samsung Moments on my plan that are just plain terrible devices… Would love to get out of this without having to pay a term fee.

I called and they only offered two options for me in this situation: (1) give me a one-time [small] credit for the amount of the administrative charge increase over the period of my contract and (2) cancel my account. The problem is I want to stay with Sprint… just love their service and cost!

Just called to cancel one line out of three and the rep was very helpful. Canceled the one line with no ETF, didn’t have to argue or anything. Very impressed with the customer service from Sprint.

What is this ‘Major Handset? ‘

• I thought I’d share my experience as well as my coworker’s.

I called this morning and talked to a guy that chuckled as soon as I mentioned what I wanted. He said, “You must have read it on a site or something, huh?” Then he denied me what I wanted claiming that it only applied to corporate accounts. I hung up and called right back and got someone else. They zeroed out my contract and put me at month to month. Awesome!

My coworker called (he has 2 lines) and at first they told him the deal about how they’re allowed to raise it up to $1.99 without officially changing the T&C. But then she said she’d do some research anyway and put my coworker on hold. When she got back on the line, they finally gave my coworker 30 days to port out with no ETF. If he lets 30 days pass without taking any action, then he’ll go right back into his previous contract.

• He didn’t say, but I’m sure he meant the iPhone.

I called them today and the customer service representative was very helpful, he switched me to month-to-month and gave me a $20 credit on my next bill.

Once I end the contract, will I be able to order the EVO 3D from wirefly and use my existing phone number I currently have with Sprint, or do I have to open up a brand new line of service with a new number? I have not changed numbers in 7 years. It would be a shame to do so now. Thanks

• Just called and the lady said i cant because i’m grandfathered in for the ETF. She said i have 8 months left on 2 lines and she said it would be 80 for each line 160 for both to cancel.

• So I called Sprint 4 times today and the last two times the rep said that I could cancel my account without any ETF, but I couldn’t switch to month-to-month. Could the people that were able to switch to month-to-month tell me what the reps said and what you said to the reps? I told the reps that I wanted to cancel because of the increase in the administrative fee. Is there something else that I should add? Thanks in advance.

Ok so i called and spoke to someone else she said sure, put me on hold real quick and came back on and said ok, i cancelled the contract your phone will continue to work as normal. You have 30 days to port out and to port out by 9/9/2011, my cycle starts then. Got my new phones on order.

what do i need to tell the rep to cancel my line how do i does please help

I tried to port my number from sprint to my fathers family plan and they told me no can do.

I called and, like Mortimer said, told the woman I am calling to cancel because the terms and fees of my contract are being changed. She told me how they are so negligible and can change and how service with someone else can be more expensive (i.e., 2GB data cap).

I had also explained to her that I have had problems with my EVO since last December (4 months new), and since January have had it replaced 6 times (through insurance, but I think that in the first year problems charging, constant reboot, etc, should be taken care of anyway even w/o insurance), and now the latest replacement is having problems charging (day after I got it).

Her best offer is help me get (another) new phone with a $200 “discount” (they will buy back my current EVO for $125, and $75 for being on current contract for 1 year). And getting this “new” phone would extend my contract by another year…!

Her other offer was cancel my contract and charge the ETF, but I said I understood that since they were changing the contract, etc,
    I could cancel without the ETF. She talked to a supervisor and got the ok, so I have until the end of my current bill cycle to port out the number. Contract will cancel when it is ported. If I don’t within that time, I’ll either stay on this contract or be charged ETF to cancel.

She said if I wanted month-to-month, go to Boost. Or if I wanted to stay with my current plan, just not under contract, I can pay ETF or wait for the 2nd year of my contract to complete.

I’ll probably sign up with Boost or TracFone to port my number, then wait for the Prime to come out and decide to get that or not, and to go with Verizon or re-up with Sprint.

So, YAY! I think … =o)

So I called sprint today and got numerous responses but after 5 tries only one representative told me that I have the right to cancel w/o etf but I cant go month to month. So to everyone who is on month to month, what did you tell them to get momth to month w/o a contract?

I have just entered my 2nd month with sprint but If i want to cancel and port my number to say tmobile will I be,without returning my phones, able to through this

Tanya,
    I don’t know if/why how long you have been with them matters. If the point is they changed the contract, then it’s changed regardless of how long you have been with them. Wouldn’t hurt to call! =o)

• I just call customer service and they said that no change will be made to my contract. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

Ok im on my parents plan any way I can use this to end my current contract but stay on the same account and port my numbe over to the evo 3d I would order off wirefly?
    Thanks, michael

Ok i have 2 lines….can i cancel one line and then wait a few days and activate a new line to get the discount prices for a new phone.

If you want to switch carriers and keep the same number how would you go about doing that?

What if I were to get an EVO before the 30th and present this the manager. Will this work if I already don’t have a Sprint account?What if I were to get an EVO before the 30th and present this the manager. Will this work if I already don’t have a Sprint account?

Sorry for double post.Sorry for double post.

Usually you are only considered a new customer if you haven’t been a customer for X amount of time.

• Dang, I did push but in my agreement, it states that they can increase the admin fee up to $1.99….I can’t get out of it.

So far no good. they are saying they wil charge a ETF… How are you getting out??

ive called 2 times today and i keep getting hit with “its in sprint contract that as long as this particular fee isnt raised above 1.99” it isnt a material breach….. tragedy!

The retentions people said that the terms of service allow them to raise the admin fee up to $1.99 which this extra $1.50 raises it up to. They claim you can’t have the ETF fee waived and I’d have to pay it to get out of my contract. I figure when they raise it to $2.00 which will happen because of their sheer necessity to pass along every single charge to me, that I’ll get out of my contract at that point. Anyone else hear this about the $1.99 max admin charge which is where they are now with my contract?

I spoke with “retentions” they claim that their terms allow them to charge up to 16%, but “federal law” only allows them to charge a maximum of $1.99, yet they can’t point me to this code. The supervisor wanted to go to google to find it with me. In other words, it may exist but they’re just stating a party line they have never seen.

last post, needed to clarify:

supervisor at retentions said that they can raise it up to 16%, but that would put it over $1.99, so they can’t get there.

I checked at XDA, I have looked for the federal law they keep quoting, no one seems able to find it.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh, and the thread at XDA, asks a basic question, show me the contract I signed.

Ok… I just got off the phone with Sprint. The first CSR pointed directly to where the “up to $1.99 admin charge” is. I bought my phone at Best Buy Mobile. They made me sign a user agreement, completely different from Sprint’s terms and services… and there it is on the bottom of my user agreement that they can charge up to $1.99. So in their eyes this change is not material since it isn’t over that quoted price. I continued my fight with only the 2nd manager I spoke to telling me she will mail me the taxes and fees clause. If I see nothing on that my fight will continue. But it is there…

I got the same runaround with the $1.99 comment. Still haven’t had luck.

when i called sprint they stated that when i signed my agreement, it states in there that these fees are subject to change .. so this change of fee is not a valid reason for them to void my contract..
    sprint.com/termsandconditions

After atrying to get them to add two lines to my phone was told by the retention dept because the charge is $1.50 and not over the allowed amount $2.00 I cant cancel without being charged for early term etc.. does anyone know if this is true or not? I told her people on line were canceling no problem and she told me that you cant believe what you read online.

This is what they explained to me too. They said that in my original contract, I agreed that Sprint could increase the administrative fee up to $1.99, and they only went up $1.50, so they are still within the terms of my original agreement.

But, they did offer me a small credit for the inconvenience. Something is better than nothing I guess.

• Here’s what I did. Called Sprint, got the $1.99 story. I moaned and complained (nicely) they gave me a $20 credit on next bill, and…. $150 off the Samsung Epic Touch 4g 2 before my renewal was up. Not bad…

ok i just got my evo 3d in the mail from wirefly, i opened a new account with them, i currently am on a family plan with my folks, any suggestions on which line i should cancel and not get charged by wirefly for doing this?
    thanks all

They said it’s in their contract and they can’t do anything about it because they told us that they could charge up to $1.99, so now I’m stuck in Sprint. :(

I have spoken to about four people including a supervisor, and they point blank refuse to change my contract, terminate it without a $200 early termination fee, or do anything to help me out. They really could not care less. I was happy to go month to month if they had let me, and what they didn’t know is that frankly i had no real intention of leaving Sprint, I just wanted the option of going month to month – but I have decided, the minute my contract is up, I am leaving them and going elsewhere. I renewed my contract 4 months ago and apparently they only start prorating the early termination fee 6 months after you renew it. It’s not worth it for me to pay $200 in this economy, so I will wait, but when my contract is up, I’m gone, after 18 years of being a Sprint customer. Thanks Sprint.