Good and EVO

Sprint expands 4G LTE coverage in Chicago and six more markets

Sprint LTE coverage 12 18 - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

This morning, Sprint announced that 4G LTE coverage has expanded in Chicago, and new coverage is launching in six more markets: Indianapolis/Carmel, Indiana; Santa Rosa/Petaluma, California; Vallejo/Fairfield, California; Southern Puerto Rico (including Ponce, Coamo, and Guayama); York/Hanover, Pennsylvania; and Franklin County, Pennsylvania.

Additionally, Sprint has enhanced 4G LTE coverage around Shenandoah County, Virginia, and introduced new LTE coverage to the neighboring Page County, Virginia.

Sprint’s Chicago LTE enhancement are mainly focused in the downtown Chicago area, while Sprint previously rolled out coverage in the Chicago suburbs.

This should come as welcome news to some Sprint subscribers who have been complaining that the carrier is ignoring more populated areas and focusing the roll out in smaller population areas. Still, even after today’s news, Sprint does have quite a lot of catching up to do when compared to Verizon, although its recent acquisition of the remaining half of Clearwire – a transaction that was officially confirmed yesterday – will certainly give Sprint the spectrum it needs for a continued successful roll out.

If you’re in any of these areas, what kinds of speeds are you getting on LTE?

[Sprint: 1, 2]

John F

28 thoughts on “Sprint expands 4G LTE coverage in Chicago and six more markets

If they could just get the 3G working better, I would be happy. I got the EVO 4G the day it came out, and never saw Wimax. I always got the usual 20 mbps download speed here in downtown Fresno, but somehow for a short period of time, it was running around 1500 mbps. If they can just sustain that speed, I would be happy without LTE.

No way you were pulling 20 mbps on 3G. You said you never saw WiMax, but even that would only top at 7-8 mbps where I’m at (and that’s top, TOP speeds!). And 1500 mbps?! Pretty sure those speeds don’t exist anywhere, even wired internet. Something tells me you haven’t figured out the difference between the kbps and mbps setting on your speedtest app….

Oops sorry, I meant 20 kbps.

Highly populated areas? York PA is where the Amish live, how bout you try for an area like Philly that has people that actually believe in electricity!

I don’t even get 500kbps on my 3G here in Austin TX

Vallejo getting some love

Santa Rosa/Petaluma arent in Indiana. They are in the bay area of CA. Might want to change it. :)

• I think you read it wrong

I’m in downtown Austin, two blocks from the state capital and we don’t have 4G yet and 3G sucks here also. Where is the love?

Its looking good in Fairfield California now, I’m getting an average of 38Mbs download and 11upload. I never thought I would see the day so soon in Fairfield.

Puerto Rico, really?..still waiting in southeast Michigan. Detroit, Ann Arbor and anywhere in between. C’Mon Sprint, get it going. We’ve been waiting long enough.

• Agreed, Southeast Michigan 3G speeds are awful (1200 kbps max on good day, no WiMAX, no word on when/if LTE will come. What’s the point of having unlimited data if my network cannot even handle basic apps like YouTube or Pandora?

Sick and tired of waiting Sprint!

• Agreed, I was about to say the exact same thing. Puerto Rico? I guess they must be a bigger market than the Detroit metro area

Kind of a shame. My market was one of the first areas to see Wi-Max, yet I’ve still seen nothing of LTE yet.

My contract is up in a few months. Moving to an LTE phone (really no choice – I have to) means no 4G for me.

I’m happy I switched to VZ on sunday. I’m very impressed of what is possible with LTE. VZ has LTE coverage in almost all populated areas, including small towns like Sedona. Sadly for sprint to catch up to VZ and have nearly the same coverage it may take sprint 2 years; but the question is where will VZ and AT&T in two years. I think sprint will always be struggling to catch up to the other big guys because they always take bad business decisions and end up putting resources in the wrong places.

I think with the Clearwire acquisition, Sprint is poised to surpass AT&T and VZW, truthfully. That was the issue — spectrum. And it wouldn’t surprise me if VZW contracts space from Sprint (kind of like their 3G tower-share for business accounts).

Sprint will be fine so long as they can survive these next 2 years.

It’s not official in L.A. yet, b.u.t. I did get a download of 26mbps, and an upload of 10mbps on my evo lte. Not bad.

Blacksburg, VA…aka Virginia Tech
    Verizon 4G LTE = 20 mbps
    Sprint 3G (only Grrr) = 1.5 mbps

• Still better than me. I work right at the edge of a few towers signal range and connect to 1x most of the time, 0-200kbps on average.

• There is one Cross Section in Jacksonville, Fl that gets LTE. Unfortunately i do not live near it.

Please hurry with San Diego. The 3g has significantly slowed with all of the network traffic around here. 5 minutes to load Google, is, terrible. Good thing I have wifi at work

Indy’s LTE towers have been up in various spots in and around Indianapolis since the end of November, and the speeds were stellar.

But they were cutting in and out and it was spotty in most areas.

Now it seems to be fairly consistently connected. I have yet to do a speed test, but I’ll knock that out tonight and report.

I thought the DC area would have it by the end of the year. It’s only been in the last two days or so that I’ve picked up a wiff of 4g on my way to and from work in an area just north of Chantilly near IAD.

Nothing for West Michigan even on the horizon. I guess that is our punishment for being one of the first areas to receive wi-max

I’ve been waiting since I got my first EVO 4G with WiMax but now I finally I have high speed with my EVOLTE in Ponce P.R. YaY ! Can’t tell you what a relief )) thank you Sprint!

I had full bars of 4g LTE pop up in certain areas around St Paul, MN today!!!!! My 3g signal seemed better as well!!

austin tx the most wired city in america…silicon valley part II and we have a pathetic 3G network, cmon sprint get your shit together u dumbasses!