AndroidGood and EVO

Does your HTC One have low-light camera problems?

Example 3

Pocketables reader Cody recently reached out to tell us about some issues he’s been having with the camera on his HTC One. Apparently, he’s not the only one, either: reports have been cropping up around the internet of users experiencing red, blue, or purple noise in low-light situations.

All the way back in June, XDA contributor VictorCozmei wrote:

My problem is that in night shots and very low light scenes, the camera turns the black into blue (or red in very very dark scenes). For example, I included some photos, on a dark street with only a few light posts it turns black areas into blurry blue.Yes, it lets in more light (and more natural looking light) than my old One X, but the black areas are blue.

Here’s some of what Victor is talking about:

Example 1

Example 2

Many other HTC One owners have chimed in since then with similar stories. HTC has acknowledged the issue and claims to be working on a fix, but as it stands now, the solution is either to reduce ISO levels or try to get a replacement.

Is this affecting your HTC One device?

[xda-developers | HDBlog via UbergizmoThanks, Cody!

John F

20 thoughts on “Does your HTC One have low-light camera problems?

I never witnessed this on my wife’s HTC One and we’ve both taken plenty of pictures with it. It does seem to affect some peoples’ devices though.

It seems to be heat related. If it is heat related, I’m not sure how HTC is going to “issue a patch” to fix it, since that’d be a hardware issue.

had a similar problem. when viewed with the screen, the picture appeared to have a red texture. But when youlook at the actual picture, it was fine. I had bestbuy replace the phone.

• Nope my low light pictures look great.

Has he tried using a different camera app? Clearing camera data?
    Tried different camera settings and profiles?

I have seen something similar with that first photo, but on my EVO 4G LTE. It wasn’t blue, but that screen door pattern showed up as bright noise as I was trying different camera settings attempting to get a good low light picture.

I got it to fix itself after using different profiles(HDR/low-light, etc) and back to normal, then changing the picture settings and it eventually fixed itself.

I am not quite sure about the tint, though.

I tried EVERYTHING! The only thing that sort of worked was drastically reducing the ISO levels and by that point it was pitch black and I couldn’t see anything!

• Am I the only one that got the awesome Wallet update? I haven’t seen any articles about it at all and it is very noteworthy.

I have the issue, but switching to HDR resolves it for me.

no issues so far (2 months in)

Right after I sent you this story I called Sprint and they said “Well if HTC is working on a software fix for it then there is nothing we can do because it’s a software problem and not a hardware problem”..Then I called a sprint repair store and they offered to replace the device but with a refurbished one… I declined and told them I’d wait a while to see when the software fix would come… But neither if them knew what I was talking about With the ccameras purple haze… Hopefully a fix cones SOON

i have had my HTC ONE since 5/2 and camera works great even in low light…took videos at small venue concerts and they look good

also read about this on BGR site a few days ago, HTC said next update should fix this problem

Unfortunately the people with the issue who have gotten the 4.3 update said it did not fix the issue. The only way I can get it as well is setting the ISO to 100 and like you said then it’s just a black picture.

• so sad. the update did not fix it. My girlfriend had a terrible focusing issue and had phone replaced. I notice she get sharper images and mine are bit hazy with that purplelish color. she was told by a guy at Sprint that that is caused by camera being separated from the motherboard..s omething like that.. strange :( that’s the one bad thing with my phone- hers still had the color issue just not as bad –

• I also have the same problem, it’s really terrible… we’re waiting for fix this!!!

I am also facing similar kind of issue. Even after updated to JB version 4.3 issue is not resolved .

• My HTC one has just decided after 3 monthes with no issue to take pictures in low light situations that are of a pink colour with gradient lines ththrough it! Grrr

I don’t have any problem at all only after I updated to 4.3 it turned purple

• I will get faint red streaks in my low light pics, however this does not occur while in video mode, hopefully they will issue a fix.

• I have this problem as well – tried using the ISO 100 fix, but didn’t get consistently good results. Also tried 4 different camera apps, and would sometimes get marginally better results, but not always. It seems like the more that I use the camera to try to fix the problem, the worse the pink photo noise becomes. I’m curious to try it out with the phone being cool to the touch rather than blazing hot as a result of taking so many test shots and videos.

• After experimenting more, for normal pictures (not video) I seem to have success in low light with the ISO locked at 100. Also, I turned NFC off and the noise seemed to be slightly less; not sure if this is related or not but it was mentioned in this list as a potential fix for another problem. http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/htc-one-problems/ I figure at the very least it may reduce electronic interference. Good luck everyone!