HTC EVO 4G LTE will not receive Android 4.3, coming soon for HTC One

evo-4g-lte

All of you with the HTC EVO 4G LTE who were hoping to get Android 4.3 and Sense 5 in an upcoming update: don’t hold your breath. According to the latest rumors from LlabTooFeR – an insider who has a history of good leaks – the last EVO on Sprint won’t receive this coveted update, along with all variants of the One S.

This may come as disappointing news, given the handset isn’t even a year and a half old yet. This also comes at a time when HTC should really be focusing on building users’ trust, something it has slowly lost over the past several years as more and more devices have been abandoned or left with buggy software that only sometimes gets fixed.

On the other hand, LlabTooFeR says that the US versions of the HTC One will get the Android 4.3 update with Sense 5 soon. Soon after this, international versions of the device will receive this update, along with Sense 5.5. And one the HTC One Max is released, the Butterfly S and One mini will also get the update.

Are any of you feeling burned by this disappointing news? Maybe I should redo our last poll a couple weeks from now.

[Twitter via Android CentralThanks, Simon!

John F

63 thoughts on “HTC EVO 4G LTE will not receive Android 4.3, coming soon for HTC One

• September 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Who cares? They would just fuck up the update like they did with Jelly Bean

• September 10, 2013 at 3:49 pm

I care I like my phone and was expecting 4.3. I have been a loyal HTC fan since the Hero, this will definitely make sure that I never buy another HTC phone.

• September 9, 2013 at 7:24 pm

FML!!! This sucks! im really loyal to sprint but fuck them.. i might get the one and go to simple mobile..

• September 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm

That’s HTC, not sprint.

• September 9, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Yeah it’s HTC as I’m sure Sprint is already in trouble with their customers they don’t need another reason. And for those who say it doesn’t matter, “Paimun” it certainly does. If you’re a struggling (and HTC is struggling horribly) phone company you don’t let go of your previous customers before they get a chance to renew!

I mean the poll Pocketables did the other day proves most of us readers are on the HTC EVO 4G LTE as our contact began almost a year and a half ago and we only have approx 6 months left till we can get a new phone. Well if HTC was smart they would release an update between Jan-March just before it’s time to buy a new phone that way the customers (us) could see HTC is trying plus experience the new OS and then put a quick add in it saying the HTC ONE (what your phone has plus etc…).

But what does HTC do, they piss off their customers by making us suffer proximity bug issues for almost a year, release a second buggy update to JellyBean and make me wait for it! Then finally fix some of the original issues (but still never fixed the MMS compressed to unrecognizable bug), say no more updates on this phone and then wants to sell me a new phone! LOL, fat chance HTC! Any other smaller phone manufacturer (Sony, Asus, LG, etc) needs to simply watch what HTC does and DO THE OPPOSITE!

5th

• September 25, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Wrong. It isn’t HTC. It’ Sprint. The EVO is considered to be more of a Sprint phone than an HTC phone. Sprint decides on the updates. Get your facts straight moron.

• September 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Actually your wrong. It’s Sprint. The EVO LTE is a Sprint. Sprint is the one who decides if the EVO LTE gets the update. So try to get some facts straight.

• September 9, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I’m not surprised. But if you root I’m sure you’ll be able to find Roms with 4.3. I wonder if we will get KitKat on the htc one. If not I’m moving to Sony or Nexus if possible. I sure hope htc pulls through though.

• September 9, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Yeah but do you know how hard of a bitch it is to root and S-OFF the EVO LTE?!

• September 10, 2013 at 11:09 am

If I can do it anybody can lol

• September 9, 2013 at 9:23 pm

HTC’s decision just pushes me over to Samsung and the Note 3 or SGS4, if a tri-band version comes out later this year.

• September 9, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Exactly, I was already going away from HTC because of the non-removable battery and no microSD slot but this only makes it clear for me (and everyone I know) to stay away from HTC! Goodbye HTC, I won’t miss you but you’ll miss my money, lol. Who wants to create a pool that HTC will be bankrupt in the next few years. Lets start with quarter intervals over 5 years period. I’ll take Q1 of 2015.

5th

• September 25, 2013 at 5:38 pm

It’s not HTC. Its Sprint. Sprint decides if the EVO gets the update. It’s Sprint’s phone more than HTC’S moron.

• September 10, 2013 at 1:05 am

The Samsung galaxy note 3 is calling my name. Sorry HTC had fun.

• September 10, 2013 at 4:33 am

Well guess Samsung has gained a new customer. When it rains it pours for HTC, figured they would try to keep customers and not show them the door so quickly.

• September 10, 2013 at 4:44 am

it would take a miracle for me to go back to htc and sprint.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:09 am

no surprise here…. HTC is not the same company as they were before — sad… really don’t wan to get a shitsong….

hope someone from sprint/htc is reading this forum!

• September 10, 2013 at 5:33 am

This is exactly why I won’t remain with HTC, once my contract is complete. I don’t know what carrier I will be using next, but if it has good alternatives, I won’t be touching an HTC phone again.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:43 am

I’ve got to say that I was looking forward to Sense 5. Frankly, the EVO 4G LTE is a damn good phone that will be fun to play around with after I upgrade phones. If the upgrade doesn’t come, I’m off to the Motorola X or the new Nexus in February. If it does, I’ll hang on to the EVO until something new comes along. I am a staunch supporter of HTC but if they can’t support me, I don’t see the need to reciprocate. As for Sprint, their coverage has disappointed me for 4 years now. AT&T is looking better and better every day.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:45 am

if rumors are true going with Nexus 5 which may be released on Sprint. Actually might buy phone from
    playstore so I can pick my carrier. Done with HTC.

• September 10, 2013 at 6:58 am

I’m def disappointed. I’m not a Samsung fan but it looks like I’ll have to switch soon. This is my 4th HTC in a row. You failed me, HTC.

• September 10, 2013 at 6:59 am

Ok, that’s it, I’m done with HTC. I’ve had the last 3 HTC handsets and this will be the last. I’m going with the Note III and back to Samsung, which I had several before HTC. Customer support with HTC is poor and this is another trick to make me buy the HTC One, which I don’t like. I was planning on keeping the LTE, because of the pending upgrade.

• September 10, 2013 at 7:03 am

I *just* figured out what HTC stands for…

Hose The Customer
    Here’s The Caveat
    Half Time Commercials
    Heavily Taxed Cellphone

• October 8, 2013 at 10:52 am

to add to the list I’ve had this one for years.

High Tech Crap

or Honestly Terrible Cellphone.

• September 10, 2013 at 7:53 am

Well HTC. It’s been a long journey. I have had an HTC phone since the hero. I am disapointed in a company that, at one time, had the best phones. But, with the lackluster update support I will be leaving this sinking ship as soon as I can upgrade my phone. I don’t like some of what I see about the S4, any suggestions?

• September 11, 2013 at 6:49 am

Note 3, nexus 5 (when released) or I’ve heard some buzz about new Sony devices

• September 10, 2013 at 7:54 am

HTC does not have many brains on board I guess, the majority of people that got the EVO LTE were coming out of a 2 year contract with the first EVO and the loyal ones like me went for the EVO LTE instead of the Galaxy S3, in 6 months HTC is going to get a big shock when people like myself will be moving to a different brand because the HTC Corp cant even update a phone that a lot were loyal to.

• September 10, 2013 at 8:46 am

This is sad news, what saddens me further is that the update would likely break more than it would fix, rendering our phones practically useless ( proximity bug anyone? ).

With no hope but to go through sprints broken insurance policy not once , twice, or three times… try six different phones all ranging from rear speakers falling out, to scratches, to cracked lcd screens..

After 6 months of trying to get a quality refurbished phone, finally someone at sprint helped me out and got me a brand new ( not re-manufactured ) It wasnt the black one we discussed , but they had to use my upgrade to get me into the new one.

All things said and done the evo LTE is a great phone when you can find one that isn’t plagued with problems.

This lack of support is a blatant slap in the face and a true sign that HTC doesn’t listen to its customers, nor value their repeat business.

• September 10, 2013 at 9:54 am

HTC is going the way of the Palm.

• September 10, 2013 at 10:39 am

Ok, I have a question, a few months back there was something on twitter saying the the Jewel (EVO LTE) would get android 4.2.2 with sense 5. Has that been changed, or should we still expect to get that update with Sense 5?

• September 10, 2013 at 11:34 am

Man im sooo glad I made the decision to switch over to the Samsung Galaxy line. Although I miss HTC camera, everything else is better, including support. HTC had better get it together

• September 10, 2013 at 12:53 pm

This is the same twitter account that I was referencing. He posted back in March that The Jewel (Evo LTE ) would get 4.2.2 with Sense 5. People on XDA seem to think he is a very credible source.

• September 10, 2013 at 1:22 pm

We’ll see. Given the pace they normally release updates, this may not reach us until next spring. By then, I’ll be seeking out a new carrier, and probably a new phone manufacturer.

• September 10, 2013 at 1:11 pm

GG HTC, no RE, I see a galaxy s or nexus in my future

• September 10, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Honestly, given their track record, this news may mean that my current HTC One will be my last HTC phone. My girlfriend still has the EVO 4G LTE, and I left Sprint for separate reasons. I figured HTC was on track to redeem themselves, and got the HTC One in light of that belief. If this is true, though, then they have not learned anything, and deserve to fail as a company.

• September 10, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I’m with the rest of you. No more HTC phones for me. I was eyeing the LG G2 anyway.

• September 10, 2013 at 3:36 pm

you guys are all funny. if you think samsung and moto are better haha photon anyone?? never got upgraded once. htc may not be perfect but my htc one has easily been the best phone i have ever used. my buddy has a gs4 and it lags like hell sometimes. this is not htc 100% its the android eco system get used to it. you really thought a 2 year old phone was going to get 4.3? be happy with 4.2 i dont care about having the latest os. but hey find out for yourselves

• September 10, 2013 at 3:53 pm

this is not just HTC. samsung users who have a s3 are pissed they been on 4.1 for so long. its android!! i’m happy with a new update i dont expect 2 or 3 in a phone. are you guys idiots? not happy root your phone or go to ios.

• September 10, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Not a big deal for me. I happen to like my EVO4g LTE a lot. I use APEX to customise it to exactly how I want it. After another year i’ll trade up to whatever is new. In the meantime, its a good stable workhorse of a phone.

• September 10, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Well that put the kibosh on Sprint and now HTC.Just counting the days until my contract is up with Sprint.And I guess the Nexus is what to get for updates from now on.

• September 11, 2013 at 7:39 am

Any chance you could post an updated article on how to root your phone? It’d come in handy, especially with this news!

• September 11, 2013 at 9:23 am

Glad to be of service, G&E. I love contributing pertinent articles.

This is a shame for EVO 4G LTE owners, to be sure. BTW, it looks like ALL HTC One users will see Sense 5.5 AFTER the HTC One Max is released. So, basically, US HTC One handsets will get Android 4.3 with Sense 5, and then get another update with Sense 5.5. Pretty cool.

• September 11, 2013 at 9:24 am

Aaand, by contributing, I mean just linking you to the information. I don’t actually write em.

Keep up the good work. Loyal G&E reader, here.

• September 11, 2013 at 10:37 am

This is the last straw for me. I have been a loyal supporter of HTC for years but I will no longer support them. They have consistently let down their user base. No wonder their financials are in the crapper. This is the last HTC device I will ever own. Once the Note III is released I am outta here.

• September 12, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Damn am I gonna miss the camera from HTC but this is a shame. My contract ends next year May with Sprint, I will definitely be leaving them to pursue a Nexus phone on a different carrier. When it comes to updates, CDMA is just last for everything and I just can’t tolerate it anymore. Definitely gonna go back to T-Mobile or possibly test the waters with AT&T

• September 13, 2013 at 11:24 am

Isn’t there plenty ROMs of AOSP w/ 4.3 and 4.2 for the HTC LTE in the XDA site?

• September 13, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Well fuck you too HTC. I’ve had HTC phones since the Mogul (Mogul -> Touch Pro -> Evo 4G -> Evo 4G LTE) and I think I’m done with this shit. Exactly as another poster stated, if you can’t be bothered to provide support for the lifetime of a phone, I will no longer support your company with any more of my money.

These are not cheap phones, and I would expect your company to remember that when we plop down over $500 (either subsidized or not), we expect more than one token update. My next phone will be a nexus device.

• September 14, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Lol well there’s a lot of hostile comments here but I’m. With you guys htc has gone down hill fast. :( I am only interested in the max if it has SD slot.

• September 14, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Will the evo lte still get sense 5 or android 4.2?

• September 22, 2013 at 7:58 pm

It really doesn’t matter. Let me explain my reasons for saying this.

1. Android is trying to make as much money as possible on gullible consumers, making them think they MUST HAVE the latest updates, when in fact the updates do very little to make the phones better.

2. If people actually thought about how crazy it sounds to spend all that money on a device that will be out of date within 12 months, they wouldn’t care about the updates either. Imagine if your car, computer, or television was only useful for 12 months…would you buy it. Would you trade it in every year. HELL NO.!!.

3. If everyone stop to think about how good their devices still are after two or three years, they really wouldn’t trade them in. My phone, camera, and apps work perfectly on my EVO 4G LTE.

4. Hardware is a better reason to trade up to a different device. I LOVE the speakers on the HTC ONE. So if I trade my device in, it will be because of that.

• September 23, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Really? This pisses you off?

Like Shatner told the Trekkies — Get a Life! For crying out loud, it’s just a cell phone. Have you ever kissed a girl? Hahaha!!!

• September 24, 2013 at 7:37 pm

It just means I will not be giving HTC anymore of my money. I’m not angry… just a consumer that spends way too much money on electronics and expects a little bang for my buck.

• September 26, 2013 at 12:16 pm

it would have been nice to have the update i was waitin for that for a long time. i do not want to upgrade to the new htc one because i like the sd slot and the new htc does not have an sd slot. im not a big fan of the speakers but with no update to the evo im just gna leave htc cuz my phone works very well so im not gna switch to a similar phone just for the sense 5.

• September 26, 2013 at 12:19 pm

i also think the reason for not updating the evo 4g lte which to me is a very good phone like all the phones out there, is because they are trying to force people to upgrade to the new htc

• September 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm

HTC makes money when they sell a phone.

Your carrier makes money when you’re in a contract, which usually you get into when you buy a phone.

Neither HTC nor your carrier has any financial incentive to support fully usable phones with the latest and greatest.

• September 28, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Stop buying their new phones for sprint if any of you can and see how much of an impact it’ll do once upon a time they stood tall now they’re pathetic. Spent every last dime on every new phone release on sprint. It’ll get the message across but will anyone do that no?

• October 2, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I think that when you buy a phone.. HTC, Samsung what have you. You should get at least 2 updates as part of the package.

• October 3, 2013 at 10:54 am

HTC that is the last straw. My next phone will be a Samsung. I am really sick of this crap.

• October 3, 2013 at 10:55 am

Let me also add this is my 3rd model and now last HTC phone.

• October 24, 2013 at 5:48 am

Actually it was confirmed Oct 4. That we will be getting HTC sense 5 and 4.3. Look it up.

• October 24, 2013 at 5:50 am

We will get it by the end of the year which is in 2 months.