Poll: How do you primarily use your tablet?

Chrome OS tablet

Depending on whom you talk to in the tech blogosphere, tablets are either the most popular devices ever or are on their way like the dinosaurs. Lots of sites lament the death of the desktop and laptop PC, while parading the tablet around as the consumer and business device of choice going forward, while others say that – despite decent sales numbers – most tablets simply collect dust on coffee tables or nightstands across the country.

There are certainly many ways to interpret the numbers. Are desktop and laptop sales decreasing because they’re less popular, or because the previous generations of these machines were just so good that people no longer feel a need to upgrade as often? In an era of 6-inch super-phones and 7-inch mini-tablets, many people might feel like a tablet is less necessary, but that doesn’t explain why iPad sales continue to remain so strong.

In other words, it’s certainly difficult to get an accurate feel for how people are actually using the tablets that they own without just asking them outright – so here we go.

Personally, I use my tablet for practically everything: I read magazines and books on it during my downtime, I use it to connect to my Chromecast and watch videos, I connect it to my Bluetooth speakers and play music, I’ve been known to film a few home videos with it, and I take it with me when I teach my classes at the local college and store my lecture notes on it. I’m a power user, though, so I know that other people may be different – that’s why I’d like to post this poll below.

Vote, select as many options that are relevant to you, and be sure to include a comment below!

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

12 thoughts on “Poll: How do you primarily use your tablet?

February 19, 2014 at 11:47 am

Mostly use it for studying. I make flashcards on the computer during my lectures and then study via the nexus 7.

February 19, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I’ll be honest, I have three tablets in the house (an ipad, a 2012 nexus 7, and a skytex windows tablet upgraded to run win8), and right now the only one seeing any use is the ipad. Why? Well, an update to the wifi driver in the windows 8 tablet broke it, and now it has absolutely no connection to the internet, and my nexus was running the newest version of cyanogenmod as of november 2013 and now it randomly reboots. Never bothered trying to fix them, I was using them primarily for gaming and other random uses but I got an xbox 360 for gaming now.

I dream of the day I can use a tablet as my primary business machine but I make use of multiple displays and need to connect to a hardwired network.

February 19, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Secondary computing device (primary computer is at work). It’s a Thinkpad Tablet 2 running Win8.1 so I can run all the same programs as I have at work.

My second option would be as a reader/browser – RSS feeds via Reeday, library books via Overdrive.

February 19, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Reedah, not Reeday. Comments should allow edits for us fat fingered sorts.

February 19, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I have 3 tablets – a rooted B&N Nook color, a rooted Sony Tablet S, and a jailbroken Ipad 2.

B&N Nook color I barely use because the touch screen isn’t sensitive enough, but usually I install whatever the latest OS is and amuse myself that I’m running something like 4.4.2 on a Nook Color.

The Sony Tablet S is just too slow to enjoy anything other than reading on, so it sits at my nightstand and broadcasts video of my baby’s room at night. Use it as an ebook/comic reader when not doing that.

The iPad 2 was traded for use with my 10 month old and education software. The wife has apprehended it and mostly it plays some game called Campus Life or HS Story if I’m not mistaken. We’ll get it back for use with the baby when she’s a bit older and can play with Tiggly Shapes better.

February 19, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I use my iPad mini for email triage and for quick checking for new email. It’s faster and easier for these purposes than my laptop. For actual processing of the RELEVANT emails, my laptop is better.

I follow blogs such as stratechery with the iPad mini, using the Safari web browser. I read the New York Times on the iPad mini with the Times native app, and other newspapers and magazines with the Safari web browser. I read books with the native Kindle app. Some articles and essays, I view in Chrome on my desktop, and then use the Send To Kindle extension, to read on the iPad mini.

When my laptop died during a two week Christmas vacation visiting relatives, I found that the iPad mini worked very well as an emergency replacement. It helped that I had a mini-sized Bluetooth keyboard with me, that I had no massive work projects to do, and most of my time was devoted to family activities, therefore my computer use was much less intense than usual.

I typed this comment on the iPad mini’s onscreen virtual keyboard. It wasn’t world’s most convenient or wonderful experience — but it wasn’t the worst, either.

February 20, 2014 at 6:54 am

My Nexus 7 is used for email and consumption of the internet.l

February 20, 2014 at 8:45 am

I have a nexus 7, I use it to look at pdf’s and listen to music while studying so I don’t have to lug my laptop around. Use it for Netflix at night too.

February 20, 2014 at 10:52 am

Tablet, Laptop, PC all collect dust.
    I use the tablet less than once a week for Video consumption.
    Haven’t touched the Laptop in 6 months?
    We use the PC to access our photo storage hard drives less than once a month.
    I didn’t have to pay for the tablet or the new PC, and the Laptop was never great. I refreshed it with Windows8 just because it was there, unused.
    My 5 + 6″ phones get 99% of my work done.

February 20, 2014 at 11:07 am

My iPad Mini does everything I need. I read news on it (Flipboard, Pocket), email, surf the web, games and, via Teamviewer, can control any of several of my work or home computers and troubleshoot my users’ computers… all from the comfort of a very small table at Starbucks (for example). I pair it with a Zagg keyboard for the full-size iPad for the stand and speedy typing.

February 20, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Media consumption , browsing the web, check social media/news, google now and games. When i want to do real work i use my desktop (ubuntu) or my chromebook. The tablet i use for a more lay back experience of consuming content.

March 2, 2014 at 3:57 am

As an academic researcher, I use my Yarkvik Zania as a portable library. During seminars/conferences, I have all kind of papers and references documents at my fingertip.