A walkthrough of the HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.3 upgrade

In case you’re considering doing the computer-aided HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.3 upgrade and have some questions about what you might encounter and what would be asked of you, here’s a screenshot and timeline walkthrough from my Windows 7 box.

It should be noted that, although the update supposedly supports Windows 8 and 8.1, judging by the sheer number of people having issues that’s simply not something you should assume. If you proceed with Windows 8, expect your upgrade to not go smoothly, not go at all, and potentially brick the device.

This was done on a computer without HTC Sync installed; however, all the drivers for ADB and diagnostic mode were installed. It was done using the HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.3 ROM Update Utility posted on HTC’s website.

Upon clicking the HTC RUU file you just downloaded from HTC’s servers for your HTC EVO 4G LTE (which two HTC reps, including the lead programmer, have said is the final/released update and their tech support thinks isn’t released yet), you’re presented with this:

Update step 1

Standard user account control message in Windows 7, so click yes to allow it. You’ll need to allow it to make changes to the computer; otherwise it can’t unpack the data in the compressed installer.

Update step 2This fancy screen will appear while the installer is creating the files on the computer that it’s going to push to the phone. Nothing’s happening to the phone at this point, so no worries. You can still decide the update isn’t worth voiding your warranty and run.

Update step 3

Remember that the update will delete all information on the internal SD card, so make sure you have your photos backed up. Your external SD card will be unaffected, as I’ve run the update multiple times with it in and it never touches that. If you’re paranoid, you can pull the card out.

Update step 4

Zzz – one thing to note that you really do need to be aware of is make absolutely sure NO OTHER PHONE OR ANDROID DEVICE IS PLUGGED INTO THE COMPUTER. I used caps there – trust me, this is important and I might have been guilty of doing this in a previous RUU and had to repair a different phone.

Update step 5

Your image version will be 3.something, mine was coming from a beta version of the update software, so no worries if this screen is subtly different. This is the first time the program will have touched your phone for any reason, and that’s to get the software version number.

Update step 6

Similarly with this, your “from” will be something like 3.16.651.3 or some such. Your “to” will always be 4.13.651.3.

Update step 7

You should more than double that 10 minute estimate. If I timed it right, it took 24 minutes.

Update step 8

The progress bar appears to jump to 100% pretty quickly, but don’t believe the lie.

Update step 9

Oh look, we’re back to 3%

Update step 10

At 54% I assumed we were 54% through the process, but much like many Windows installers, this is not the case. 54% was approximately 25% through the whole shebang.

Update step 11

Updating boot rebooted the phone twice, if I remember correctly

Update step 12

I sat on 100% from 7:03 a.m. until 7:10 a.m. (yes, I was taking notes). Nothing changed on the display, except periods were marching after the line “Updating boot…..” On the phone, there was a display that read HTC and a progress bar underneath. This progress bar usually was under the start of the C, but occasionally when I looked it would be before or after it.

The progress bar didn’t know where it was supposed to be.

Update step 13

With a phone on the white screen, I heard the USB disconnect sound and this appeared on my computer. I watched for a couple of minutes as the phone just appeared to be locked up. It finally started loading the OS and then appeared to be locked up as well.

I believe I waited two or three minutes at this point before seeing the capacitive lights dim and finally was presented with the setup screen.

Update step 14

On clicking finish from the previous image, Windows informed me that the program might not have installed correctly. I clicked cancel, as it worked fine.

Update step 15A quick look at the EVO layout under media connect showed one 11.4GB partition internally as opposed to the 9GB FAT partition that used to be there.

Stuff from my notes

• Updating boot at 20 seconds
  • 26% after two minutes
  • Bar appears to hang on the C in HTC
  • Jumped to 28% and then went down to 27% while updating radios and HBOOT
  • 54% complete there’s a reboot
  • 56% complete there’s a reboot
  • When it says updating boot at 73% it appears to hang for 30+ seconds
  • At 100% it will take about eight more minutes until you have a phone

Misc stuff for the root crowd

• If you’re rooted/S-ON you need to relock the bootloader in order to update
  • If you’re rooted/S-OFF you don’t have to do anything except feel smug that you’re not S-ON
  • You can unlock the bootloader afterwards at HTCdev
  • This not only breaks root, it removes any trace that it was there. S-OFF is not root.

When you run into problems

Here’s the thing – there’s no support for this upgrade from HTC. They announced that in the update email, their tech support doesn’t even know they released it if the forums are to be believed, and it simply does not work correctly on most Windows 8+ machines. If you’ve got Windows 8 and it works, congrats. You’re one of the lucky few.

If you’re going to ask for help in a public forum, let me give you one bit of advice. Saying “it doesn’t work,” doesn’t work for anyone. You’re going to need to tell people what operating system you’re running, where you got the update, where it hangs, have you re-tried it, is there anything odd that you notice, have you done any diagnostics, were there demons involved, etc. Making people pull the information they need to help you out bit by bit just slows everyone down.

You’re also going to need to ask for help some place where people are going to see. This is important, and I’ll tell you why. Let’s say in mid-March 2014 you come to this page and see this article and are having problems and need help. You post your symptoms here and what’s going on with your device and get no answer.

That’s because you’re posting on a daily blog. Chances are a week (a day or two actually) after this is posted, the only people who will be reading it are people who have not yet installed the update. They’re not going to be in a position to help. This goes for any blog. The people who know how to fix problems you’re experiencing aren’t going to be reading a guide on what the installer process looks like.

Our forum is a better place, or this section of XDA where there are lots of people helping out with issues.

One last thing

This update can brick your phone. Well, the update itself probably won’t – your computer rebooting in the middle of an update, a cat knocking the USB cable out, bad USB drivers, power failure, Windows update automatically rebooting your system, system going into hibernation, antivirus kicking in for no reason, malware, etc. can turn your phone into a $400 piece of junk that you won’t be able to fix and Sprint/HTC won’t repair.

You should realize if your computer isn’t stable, your chances of  bricking your phone are high. You should consider whether the risks of doing it outweigh the rewards.

If you install this, I hope it all goes well. It’s a nice update, even if HTC did ship it buggy.

become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Paul E King

49 thoughts on “A walkthrough of the HTC EVO 4G LTE Android 4.3 upgrade

February 23, 2014 at 9:07 am

I haven’t seen any bugs so far. Anything that you have found in particular?

February 23, 2014 at 9:43 am

There’s a Beats audio issue, the Qualcomm location services draw obscene battery in certain conditions, seems like there’re about eight main issues I’ve read about, I’ll find and post them later… got to make sure I’m not talking about the beta issues vs the release

February 23, 2014 at 9:19 am

im running windows 8.1 the phone automaticaly disconnects from the computer when it goes to the black htc screen and then on the computer it gives me an error saying the phone is not connected

February 23, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Use Windows 7, I tried on Windows 8.1 first and it gave me the same usb error. Everything went smoothly in Windows 7.

February 23, 2014 at 9:39 am

I’ve had some issues using voice commands with my cars Bluetooth connection. Names aren’t being picked up correctly (Maureen instead of Marcia). This never happened in the past.

This is with an 09 KIA, before the new UVO system.

February 23, 2014 at 9:44 am

Quick check – this using Google Now’s BT interface as opposed to the Android default it used to do?

February 23, 2014 at 10:46 am

How do I double check this?

February 23, 2014 at 1:25 pm

well, when you say dial someone, look at your phone, does it have a Google Now screen, or is it the old style black screen with a grey mic that says Voice Command or similar?

About a week ago Google Now overtook the voice command we used to have and now you have to go in and enable personalized recognition in order for it to get your contacts and voice right

February 24, 2014 at 5:09 am

No luck. Still getting major inconsistencies after changing to personalized recognition.

Bluetooth transfer is extremely slow. The car pulls the contacts from the phone for voice dial.

Never had an issue with the old way. I can factory reset the phone and see if that helps.

Thoughts?

February 26, 2014 at 7:01 am

Got it all set. For some reason linking contacts caused an issue.

February 23, 2014 at 11:53 am

Paul,
    Do you believe the root community will create an update utility similar to this? I know it’s possible to do it using captain throwbacks method….but…a one stop no lose root and have to unlock again method would be ideal.

February 23, 2014 at 1:24 pm

If you’re S-OFF you don’t have to unlock again ;)

I don’t think there’s going to be a method made to do this automatically. I might be wrong, but it’s going to involve copying all your data off of the internal SD to somewhere else flashing an RUU or just the firmware bits which erase everything on the phone, then a long set of installs and flashing that if anything went wrong you have to stop and have human intervention. And that’s only if you’re S-OFF. If you’re S-ON you’re going to have to script a visit to HTCDev to get an unlock token, something to read the email, a script to copy data, copy it back, an android app to replace the data that’s been copied.

You’re talking programs on at least two platforms (windows and Android) involved to do it.

Alternately, if you’re S-OFF, grab Titanium Backup, backup everything to an external SD card, RUU, flash recovery, instal superuser from recovery, install titanium from the market, restore accounts, restore wifi access points, restore apps you want.

Maybe someone will prove me wrong, but it’s a pretty massive undertaking when the crowd that it’s being made for has the tools to do it themselves.

February 23, 2014 at 2:04 pm

So if I understand you correctly, I can run the update, then if I reinstall supersu twrp, and etc I can still flash roms (of the updated partition layout) all Willy nilly?

February 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Yup. I RUUed while S-OFF, first thing I did after a reboot was flash TWRP, then an updated versionof the new stock ROM.

If you decide you want to flash an old ROM and are S-OFF, just run something like ViperRUU or an old official RUU (there’s a specific one listed in Captain’s thread) that will take you back to the old partition layout/old firmware.

February 23, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Ah, lovely! Thanks! I might take the plunge tonight, if I love it I won’t need to flash a Rom anyways, right? :)

February 23, 2014 at 7:23 pm

Last question for you paul,

What method did you use to get twrp back on there? did you rename the file as P75img.zip (something like that) and fast boot it? version 2.6.0?

February 23, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Yup, renamed the file, seemed the easiest way… you can use the adb/fastboot command if you feel like it also

February 23, 2014 at 12:07 pm

I keep getting a message saying my phone is not connected. The computer is recognizing it. Any assist would be great. Tried it on two seperate computers with the same results.

February 23, 2014 at 1:27 pm

What is the operating system on either of the machines? PC, Mac, virtual machine? Both computers not recognize it? Any sound when you plug it in? Checked device manager? etc

February 23, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Sorry, I guess more info needed. For starters I was using a MS 7 and MS vista. Both recognized it and allowed me to access the sd card. I’m not sure about any sound though. I don’t have HTC sync manager installed. Should I? Thanks

February 23, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Try installing it, see if it changes the drivers on the windows 7 machine.

Accessing the SD card doesn’t mean the ADB drivers work, and those are installed with HTC sync or the universal naked driver package.

There’re five drivers I think that are used at different times… USB file access is one, MTP access is another, ADB/Fastboot, seems like two others but I can’t remember what the deal is tonight.

February 23, 2014 at 5:15 pm

It might help to have USB debugging enabled from the Developer Options. I experienced the exact same thing.

February 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I just extracted the to ROM files from the temp folder. I then proceeded to flash them.

With Windows 8.1, I kept getting stuck on the waiting for bootloader part. With the extract and flash method it was fast and painless.

Worked the first time I tried it.

February 23, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hi, I am S-off and recently ran this ruu . I usually install twrp through goomanager, but I cant since I do not have root access, what process do I need to follow to flash recovery?

February 23, 2014 at 8:07 pm

Go here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2639180

Scroll down to post 3

Look for “Recovery Only – TWRP 2.6.3.1b with updated partition layout” and download the bootloader flashable.

Copy that to your external SD card, rename it to PJ75IMG.zip, shut the phone off, press power + vol down, should boot into bootloader (you might have to go to fastboot) and then it will ask if you want to update.

That will flash TWRP modified recovery…

Reboot phone, delete PJ75IMG off of external sd card so that you can get back into recovery, download SuperSU binary from http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip

Shut down, power + vol down to get into bootloader, load recovery, flash as normal.

February 23, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I don’t have an EVO 4G LTE, but I just wanted to stop by and say REALLY nice walk-through, Paul. Very concise and the plethora of pictures at even varying percentage of completeness is great.

You, sir, know how to construct a thorough and thoughtful walk-through. Well done.

February 23, 2014 at 4:50 pm

What if I have root with S-ON? Will I have to remove root or will the RUU just remove it for me?

February 23, 2014 at 8:11 pm

It will remove it for you. As I recall, the RUU asks what firmware version your phone is from your phone, then goes and wipes everything away.

One random difference is you may need to relock the bootloader if you get it saying it can’t install.

Afterward you can unlock from htcdev, flash the modified TWRP for the new layout (it’s posted either above or below this, I’m not in the right view at the moment) flash the supersu binary, bam you’re set.

Well, you should be.. I’m assuming there aren’t more hurdles to jump through.

February 23, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Hi Paul. What’s the best method to back up my phone if HTC sync has to be uninstalled? Just want to make sure I do not have lose everything with making the update. Thanks!

February 23, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I’m going to try and write a write up tomorrow.
      I don’t think HTC Sync needs to be uninstalled for the RUU does it? I know it needs to be uninstalled for any rooting/flashing but think the RUU is designed to play nice. Will check tomorow

February 23, 2014 at 9:04 pm

Hi Paul. No I do not think it needs to be uninstalled for the RUU, but I was not sure if I backed up using it…then uninstalled it…if I would have issues loading the back-up after re-loading HTC sync. Thanks for checking into it…

February 24, 2014 at 9:32 am

I used Helium backup (used to be called Carbon) to backup, but it looks like HTC Sync backed up my music and pictures. Nothing was lost on that end.

February 24, 2014 at 6:32 pm

I keep getting the USB connection error (170). Any help? Win7, Rooted, S-off, CM-10.2

February 25, 2014 at 9:00 am

Get off Dirty Raccoon and update your HBOOT.

February 25, 2014 at 10:36 am

Hey Paul, thanks so much for the WT. Unfortunately after I download and run the Installshield Wizard I never see the HTC Android Phone ROM Update screen that comes next. I’m running Vista and have HTC sync installed, security program turned off. Anyone have any ideas?

February 25, 2014 at 11:11 am

right click the application, see if you can choose run as administrator. Failing that working, reboot see if that fixes it. If not it’s probably an installshield issue on your install and will have to be troubleshot as such. Well, unless anyone else is having issues with Vista.

Really should at least get you to that screen there even if everything driverwise is bad

February 27, 2014 at 9:30 am

same thing with me Jim. nothing after install shield screen. have you got it figured out yet?

February 25, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Hey, so, I’m running windows 7 and keep getting error 170 usb not recognized. HTC sync is uninstalled from the computer. Can anyone please help? I’m getting so frustrated and all that bootloader stuff is Greek to me.

February 26, 2014 at 7:01 am

What I’m reading says to do the following: Shut phone off. Press and hold vol down. Press and hold power. You should boot into bootloader. Attach phone to computer. run program.

Try that and please let us know if it works.

February 27, 2014 at 7:11 am

Hi Paul, I am having the same issue as Jim Menges from above. Nothing happens past the install shield set up screen. I have windows 7 ultimate, no virus software running. Please help. I am running the ruu from a memory stick also.

February 27, 2014 at 8:01 am

Have you tried right click, run as admin?
      I keep giving that advice various places and never get feedback as to whether anything works or not.

February 27, 2014 at 9:03 am

Hi paul ! My phone is injected by local providers not sprint. I changed it. If update succesful, the injection will missing? Please give some explanations about the injection.

February 27, 2014 at 10:40 am

Injected is not a term I’m familiar with. But if you’ve got a local carrier modified Android I’d talk to the people who modified it as this changes radios, prl, and everything.

February 27, 2014 at 9:25 am

yes! same thing. nothing happens after the install sheild screen reaches full progress bar. I have had my phone is fastboot usp and just normal with usb debuggin on. nothing.

February 28, 2014 at 11:15 am

Just have a question. If the update was succesful, what happen to the prl?

February 28, 2014 at 5:23 pm

since HTC pulled the RUU is there any legit place with a download for it?

March 11, 2014 at 8:06 pm

The “cat knocking the USB cable out of the phone” totally happened to me! I thought I had bricked it … but it turns out I just didn’t know how to restart the bootloader! Scariest hour of my life, not gonna lie.

March 11, 2014 at 8:35 pm

If I posted everything a cat has done that managed to nearly brick my device nobody would believe it.