Good and EVOSoftware Updates

OTA update to 2.08.651.2 available for HTC EVO 3D now [Updated]

Evo3d-ota-2.08.651.2 Reports are coming in that users are able to successfully download and install the latest OTA from HTC and Sprint for the HTC EVO 3D. This update bumps your version number to 2.08.651.2, bumps Android up to 2.3.4, and bumps Swype up to version 3.21.87.28626.28659.

Additionally, this update will allow you to uninstall (or hide) additional apps from your app drawer, including the Green Hornet shortcut and Spiderman. However, Google Talk on the EVO 3D still does not support video chat, similarly to the HTC EVO View 4G, even though Android officially supports it in this version.

Users are also reporting miscellaneous performance improvements, but before you jump the gun and install this OTA, here is what you need to know.

Evo3d-ota-screenshot
This OTA will update your HBOOT to 1.50, which means that – as of now – Revolutionary will not support unlocking the bootloader on the EVO 3D after this update. This may or may not matter to you, as this update does prepare the EVO 3D for the forthcoming official HTC bootloader unlocking tool.

Evo3d-bootloader-1.5 As you can see to the right, the HBOOT now says that it is locked, even though I previously rooted through Revolutionary and I clearly have S-OFF. This "locked" warning is therefore unconnected to the actual state of the bootloader, which is most likely programmed to display this until HTC's official unlocking tool is used.

Therefore, if you have already rooted your device using Revolutionary, this OTA will not necessarily cause you to loose root. However, for most users, I would still recommend waiting until a rooted ROM based on this update is available for you to flash.

Update: stock, rooted ROM (odexed or de-odexed) by xHausx is now available for your flashing delight, so you don't have to do all the extra work I detail below – unless you want to.

If, and only if, you are an advanced rooted user and would like to apply this update the "official" way, keep in mind that you will need to flash the stock recovery that shipped with your phone (not Clockwork or the TeamWin Recovery Project). You will also need to revert your system/app folder back to its original state (in other words, replace any system apps you removed with Root Explorer or a similar app).

Once these two prerequisites are met, you can safely download and install this OTA update. Afterwards, you will need to re-flash your custom recovery of choice and Superuser. In my experience, the most current stable version of Superuser (version 2.3.6.3) does not work after this update, but the most recent beta works just fine (version 3.0 beta 3, available here).

If you haven't received the OTA update yet, you can check for it by pressing Menu > Settings > System updates > HTC software update. It will also be pushed out to users who haven't yet updated on August 23.

How is this latest OTA update working out for you? Have you noticed any other changes or improvements, or the introduction of any new bugs? Be sure to let us know in the comments!

John F

83 thoughts on “OTA update to 2.08.651.2 available for HTC EVO 3D now [Updated]

• Dont know about anyone else but this update was an epic fail since they did not address the major concerns like battery not charging fully, camera/camcorder green tint issue, and most important signal issues –
    I mean hiding or uninstalling spiderman/or other sprint apps is this what they think was important to put in a major update cmon now!

Picasa Web Albums now syncs…FINALLY!

Screen shots enabled using Power & Home button!

• My phone charges fine and the only problem with my camera is when I zoom in on pictures it go black. So far that has been resolved. As for the signal issues. My signal is better after I replaced my phone couple days ago. If you mean not switching to roam when you say signal problem then you should get roam control. It works perfect. I had to do the same thing on my evo4g. But if there are signal problems that can be fixed with an ota update I can see why you would be mad. I hope they fix that and I’m sure they will. So far only HTC releases updates this often. This is one reason why I choose htc over samsung or motorola.

• I like the newer swype!!!

def not working for me ?

Press down the power button and immediately hit the home button – you should get a message stating screen shot saved in camera shots.

• I love the screenshot feature. Just remember for it to work hold power button and immediately press home key before you get the power button options to power off. Once you get the power off option you waited too long.
    I hope revolution comes out of developer mode with a 1click root. I miss wifi tether.

No update for me when I check it says my phone is updated but I didnt update it . Help please

• What version is it? I am in the BETA and it is a massive improvement on the old 2.5 they had installed in 2.3.3.

Does the new swype work in Friend Stream for you… doesn’t work for me when typing…only when swyping.

• Love the screen shot option! This fixes the SD card app issue that I was having. The one where it wouldn’t show the actual app icon but instead showed the stock android app icon. That issue is fixed now. I don’t think it actually fully removes the spiderman app because it is still showing in my games folder.

I dont want to do the OTA update, can someone tell me how to get rid of the update notification icon in my notification bar.

nice find!!

• 3.21.87
    It is not the latest one that was released for Nexus users a couple of days ago, but is a significant improvement over the previous one.

• Sorry, I don’t use friendstream, so dunno.

• Hit the clear button in the notification bar

• O love this update , especially screen shit ability

• Tremendous things here. I am very glad to look your post.
      Thank you a lot and I’m looking ahead to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

• You must believe that making money online is not a fairy tale.
      Yes, the idea is shocking and it goes against all conventional wisdom.
      They can be financial books and periodicals found in
      the libraries or your local bookstores.

• I’m really enjoying the design and layout of
      your site. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for
      me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your
      theme? Fantastic work!

You can’t clear it in the drop down notification bar. If it was that easy I wouldn’t have asked.

• I wouldn’t like that ability. But to each his/her own.

hahahaha. That made me giggle.

• You could also have mentioned in your OP that you already tried it… :)
    Sorry, if that doesn’t work, I don’t have another suggestion. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion for you.

Careful, peanuts can scratch your screen.

Robert, just press the update as if u were going to install it, then just press Cancel then OK.

• Restart your phone and then try again. Remember its the update option from htc when you go into settings and updates.

• Screen shit ability hahaha lmao! Follow @ lchase_money …..New Music @ Twitrax.com/chase_money

• The camera doesn’t have the option to shut off the shutter sound anymore. Or could you before? I don’t remember.

And now you can root your phone through the HTCDEV.com , just gotta register , login , and use the instruction for EU sensation , it worked for me!!!

• This was a great update. Other carriers SHOULD TAKE the time to provide options for there customers when it comes to the assorted bloatware they decide to install on the devices we purchase. Sprint is doing BIG THINGS in the smartphone arena and many carriers need to take notice. This was a very stable update.

Thanks for that tip!

• tnx a LOT , I just rooted my phone without any hassle , their instruction is super easy !

It used to have the option now it doesn’t. I don’t like that part of the update.

I was a little worried about doing this update since my brother’s Echo from Sprint bricked with their recent update. Of course then I remembered, this is HTC not a Kyocera brand phone :-)

you go to unlock bootloader , press start , then begin unlock bootloader , then register , login , and use the instructions

• And I officially hate the updated swype, SCREEN SHOT LOL

• I’m with you. Fix the real issues. I can fix the space issues by buy a larger SD card. What I would like is to be heard clearly when I speak to someone on the phone, and not have to say EVERYTHING twice. It is a PHONE FIRST, after all!!!

• Updating now. Sceenshot without root=awesome!!

how do you do that ?

THANKS man i see its like a pressure button you press it lightly and screen doesnt shut off right away or you have 3 seconds before the power options comes up love it

Chris…
    No more green pictures for me after the update.
    Signal can’t be judged on 1 hour use so far.
    My 3D always charged to 100% and cycled back down to 95% before charging back to 100% automatically.

• hold power button and press the home button.

• I try the ota on my rooted 3d no go I’m getting little blue man

• i dont want to sound cynical but…this screenshot thing is, like, 100% ripped off of the iOS platform. From the home + power combo, to the white flash on the screen, down to the fact that it’s stored right in its camera shots folder. Now, normally i wouldn’t be bringing this up at all, but 1) it’s so blatantly copied and 2) Apple and HTC are currently in a HEATED patent infringement battle…and this little feature isn’t going to help HTC’s case whatsoever.

sorry to bring down the moment :(

• When are they going to fix the issue with the sms/mms alert numbers not clearing?

LauncherPro does not work anymore.
    HTC Sense always comes back when you press home key

• also, the phone icon is back in the lockscreen! YAYYYYYYY!!!

• Apple is not the only company that can do screenshots. Even if the screenshot process is done in a similar way who cares. What’s next?… oh Android copied apple because you can copy and paste. Give me a break. Apple ios copied windows mobile when it came to word selecting and copy and paste. At this point everyone is copying everyone else. Who cares! My biggest decision for picking Android is not that I hate apple it’s that Android has more options and less restrictive.

• That was back with the 2nd update already. lol

Still No Update :( , I Called Sprint and Tried Everything.

• Anyone else having an issue of the voicemail icon taking a couple of minutes to clear after you delete your voicemail?

Every time I boot or turn off my phone the app icons on the home screen turn generic. I go into settings, personalize, scene, change background, apply, then switch back to the old screen and the icons all have the proper appearance. I was hoping one of the several updates would fix this glitch. It was refreshing to get back flashlight in the last upgrade!

• Mirror app is gone! The narcissist in me is dying :P

• Icons still going back to stock green icon every time i reboot phone for me. Everything else about the update is cool though.

• That is sweet! Thanks for the awesome tip!

• You can now share photos from the Phone App “Gallery”! In the last version you had to go into the gallery from the Gallery app and share.. much better.

Has anyone using SplashID loaded the update without problems?

When the update ran on my wife’s phone it removed splashid.

Would someone please post the Stock Recovery?

Thanx!

• does anyone know where this update saves on the phone when it downloads? I can’t get it to auto install so wanted to try and manually push it from recovery but can’t find the zip/apk after I download it.

It downloads to /mnt/sdcarad/download but as the article states you need to have stock recovery to install. You cant install from TWRP or Clockwork…….I have been looking all day for the Stock Recovery!

• Wifi tether works, install barnacle wife, and wifi tether. Then start barnacle first, <-----------IMPORTANT it will say I don't remeber what it says but just agree with whatever it says. Then turn it off and back out and open wifi tether, these steps worked for me.

• Sorry also everytime you turn the phone off and back on this has to be repeated. And I meant barnacle wifi not wife lol

• lol The Market has one called xMirror

• Does anyone else has issues with Swype working properly in FriendStream when you type into the “what’s on your mind” box? My Swype keeps on selecting the word I just typed… it’s kinda annoying.

• I love the screen shot on the update. And someone mentioned mirror app gone and this is weird but if you go to the google search and type in mirror it comes up and you have to click it there to open it. You’ll see a picture of a mirror.

Can’t use LauncherPro with this update.
    Can’t use any other launcher, because pressing the home button no longer presents you a choice of launchers, it just goes to the Sense Homescreen.

try rebooting your phone. ADW and LauncherPro works for me.

• Was excited to install the update but have been having problems ever since I did. LED notification light won’t stop flashing even though there aren’t any notifications to check. I keep getting something a “Data Call Failure: Error Code 128 Unable to Establish Wireless Data Connection” message.It’s really annoying, I’ll be in an area where I know I have a solid 3G signal and the data connection will shut off. I seem to be having some weird lag issues with texts popping up in the lockscreen. Going to have to hold off on unlocking the bootloader until I get this sorted with Sprint…

• umm, copy and paste was on Android before it was in iOS. I’m not saying is should be the only company to do something i’m saying if they are doing it one way then other companies should find another way to do it or else it just looks like a rip off.

thank you for putting words in my mouth.

• hmmm i missed that update. this is the first time my phone has said theres an update

What is the CL (change list) number of this update?

• does anybody know if there is a way to full root an
    EVO 3D 2.3.4 version yet?

• When President Obama challenged us to out-innovate and out-build our competitors, the Jetport’s geothermal heating system.

my phone dont have system update in setting pls help me to update my htc evo 3d pls mail me at [email protected]

• What about standards? Ever notice how the power symbol is the same on just about every device in existence? Ever notice how televisions generally look alike? Stereo receivers? Sure you have design anomalies, but where did this “everything has to be different an unique” philosophy come from? When I want to play a CD, I can generally play it the same way regardless of who makes the CD player.