AppsGood and EVOTips & Deals

Another way to temporarily fix contact lag on your HTC EVO 4G LTE

TouchPal Contacts Play Store - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

It’s been literally months, and HTC and Sprint have yet to release an OTA software update for the HTC EVO 4G LTE that fixes the serious contact lag bug we’ve all been complaining about. While disabling Facebook sync or performing factory resets have worked for some, others claim that these are only temporary solutions, and that the problem often comes back rather quickly. But here’s something else you can try.

According to Good and EVO reader Bruce:

The root cause for the lag is that the contacts process gets killed from memory, and every time you invoke any apps that have anything to do with contacts (i.e. the dialer or texting apps), they have to get reloaded into memory and thus take forever.

The workaround around I found is to install an app called TouchPal Contacts.  It’s a third party dialer/contacts app that works every well.  This app forces the contacts to be kept in memory and never gets killed.  If you don’t like the app, you don’t even have to use it.  Just install it, and it forces the contacts to be loaded and kept in memory.  It’s been working very well for me and I haven’t experienced any lag when texting, calling or opening up the People app.

The download link for TouchPal Contacts appears below, and while this may prevent the contacts from always reloading, it still seems like a poor solution to a serious problem that should have been fixed long ago.

There’s also the unwanted side effect of a TouchPal Contacts popup on the call screen whenever you dial out, even if you use the stock dialer instead of the TouchPal one. It’s easy to disable, though – simply open up TouchPal Contacts, and press MenuSettings > Caller Number Location, and make sure nothing is selected. (I’d also recommend going into the General settings, and deselecting everything there, as well – this will minimize your future interaction with the app, in case you still want to use the stock dialer exclusively.)

If you don’t mind the minor headache that this induces while downloading and setting it up, it’s worth looking into. Let’s just hope HTC and Sprint get on the ball and fix this pronto.

qrc smart dialer - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

Download: Play Store

Thanks, Bruce!

John F

25 thoughts on “Another way to temporarily fix contact lag on your HTC EVO 4G LTE

I’m not positive if this will be a longterm solution. I’m using MeanRom and MikeyXDA has made the Contact Process set to never be killed, and the lag still comes back sometimes. I don’t get it often, and I didn’t have it for quite a while but then it came back yesterday for me in a terrible way.

Same – MeanROM’s fix didn’t. Had a count of 44 after pressing “call” before the phone actually dialed yesterday.

Anyone have experience with SQLite3? I thought the issue might be with the contacts2.db becoming corrupt or needing a reindex so I’ve been experimenting there but don’t know enough about the journal files to be effective. I have tried a fix like this:

# echo “.dump” | sqlite old.db | sqlite new.db

which worked for a little bit and was fast, but then i kept getting system.android.acore processes ending so i restored my nandroid. I’m not sure how the other files in the databases folder interact.
    also tried opening the contacts2.db in sqlite and giving it a “VACUUM” but it had no effect (no errors though)

i’ll give this app a shot though, the issue drives me crazy.

This issue drives me crazy! Getting to messages and making calls is so slow…. Another reason I’m thinking about rooting or giving my LTE to my parents and taking their upgrade to get the SGIII.

the reason why u guys lag is because u sync ur fb contacts.. ive never had that lag using viper and others have its because of that..

I’m not syncing my facebook contacts. Have that disabled since the first day that was a potential fix listed.

Me either… I’ve never used FB before in my life, so your theory is incorrect.

Nelson, we should be able to sync our Facebook contacts regardless. It’s an HTC software issue. My phone lags calls, contacts, and texts without having anything on Facebook synced.

Can I like this comment? My OG EVO was perfect.

I’ve never had this problem on my EVO 4G LTE… running MeanROM 4.6.

Even if it was solely a Facebook sync issue, our phones came preloaded with the Facebook app with the option to sync our contacts. So basically it’s like my realtor saying “I’m going to sell you a million dollar house at full cost but the bathrooms don’t work, so if you’d like to build a shanty out back and poop in a hole…feel free to.

i rather poop in a hole any day

• I just tried this fix and it didn’t work even a little. Contract list load times are still ridiculous, maybe even a little worse now..

• I had to reboot, and then it worked fine. Who knows, maybe it’s just a placebo affect. At any rate, I think anything is worth trying… this problem is only getting worse.

• Is anyone else noticing issues with other synced accounts? My phone had lost all of my Skype and LinkedIn contacts and I can’t seem to get them back no matter what I try.

I’ve noticed contacts I have will not show up sometimes, they’re always back later though. Something is afoul

I’m having lag issues with my contacts, dialer, and my message apps, my internet explorer randomly quits, my phone freezes at times, and my camera is terrible in low light situations on my stock 4gltevo. I frequent this site often and try every fix possible for all the issues I have but It’s still not enough HTC needs to step the game up and listen to their customers. What happen to fewer, better quality, updated faster phones.

I’ve never had this problem…

the TouchPal stuff seems to solve my horrendous contacst, etc., lag and hang up problem as long as I’m using it. BUT – my phone as spontaneously rebooted twice today since I installed it this morning. Not good.

• I have problems every so often with Handcent and Yahoo Messenger I have a black screen and they don’t open right away. I sometimes go to the HTC task thing and close out yahoo and then it will open right away. My people seem to load right away as far as I know I don’t open it as much as Handcent and yahoo though.

• I never used Facebook, had it disabled from day one, I also had touchpal contacts. I liked thus app but then I started having problems and initially thought it was actually touchpal contacts responsible for my headaches. So, I uninstalled it but still had issues. I hard reset the phone and the issue went away for a while. Finally learnt about the Facebook sync issue but like I said I had never used Facebook, so I followed the rest of the instructions,I.e. turned off google sync, deleted the contacts database, reset the phone and then turned sync back on. Seems to have solved the problem for now. Dies Sprint/HTC realize how ridiculous this is. You can’t use the basic functions of the phone, making calls and sending text messages. It’s utterly pathetic.

“Does Sprint/HTC realize how ridiculous this is. You can’t use the basic functions of the phone, making calls and sending text messages. It’s utterly pathetic.”

It sure is, and that’s what has a lot of EVO LTE owners pissed. The silence, lack of acknowledgment, and lack of solutions has been maddening.

• Did not work for me. If they do not correct the issue with the Jelly Bean update…..I am moving to Samsung.

I’ll give this a shot.
    FB disabling worked for about a week…then back to same old lag issues during texting and calls.
    Grrr …. HTC & Sprint
    C’mon Man!

• What a pity. Such good.potential in this HTC phone. But when I try to load Contacts to make a call, I need to wait ten seconds. It is annoying when I need to make a quick call. 90% of the functions on any smart phone are useless to me. But this one basic function which I DO need is faulty. Fix it or I am going to Samsung!!