Sprint announces 40 new LTE market, brings total to 340

Sprint LTE January 27Sprint announced earlier this morning that its 4G LTE network has launched in 40 new markets, listed below. This brings the total to 340.

• Anderson, S.C.
  • Camden, N.J.
  • Cape Girardeau-Jackson, Mo.-Ill.
  • Carson City, Nev.
  • Colorado Springs, Colo.
  • Concord, N.H.
  • Eugene-Springfield, Ore.
  • Evansville, Ind.-Ky.
  • Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers, Ark.
  • Georgetown, S.C.
  • Glasgow, Ky.
  • Greenville, Ohio
  • Hilton Head Island-Beaufort, S.C.
  • Hudson, N.Y.
  • Idaho Falls, Idaho
  • Jackson, Miss.
  • Laconia, N.H.
  • Marion, Ohio
  • McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas
  • Midland, Mich.
  • Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis, Wis. Mobile, Ala.
  • Monroe, La.
  • New Castle, Pa.
  • New Philadelphia-Dover, Ohio
  • Olean, N.Y.
  • Olympia, Wash.
  • Owensboro, Ky.
  • Owosso, Mich.
  • Paducah, Ky.-Ill.
  • Parkersburg-Marietta-Vienna, W.V.-Ohio
  • Point Pleasant, W.V.-Ohio
  • Providence, R.I.
  • Reno-Sparks, Nev.
  • Rockingham County-Strafford County, N.H.
  • Salt Lake City
  • Spartanburg, S.C.
  • Springfield, Ohio
  • Tacoma, Wash.
  • Yuma, Ariz.

Of course, we’re still getting reports from readers about incredibly slow LTE data speeds, even in areas that have supposedly been upgraded to Spark. For example:

Other readers are reporting acceptable speeds, although that still seems to be the exception rather than the norm. As always, if you’re in one of the new launch markets, be sure to let us know what your experiences are like. I’m personally getting tired of always including a disclaimer about slow data whenever I report on Sprint’s LTE rollout, so hopefully we can see some awesome speed test results, too!

[Sprint] [Sprint]
become a patron button - for some reason we don't have an alt tag here

John F

17 thoughts on “Sprint announces 40 new LTE market, brings total to 340

January 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I like how they put those dots on their maps to hide the real pitiful LTE map they actually have. Also in my market, Contra Costa Area in CA, some of the area they claim have LTE I have never once connected to it.

February 2, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Hi! If you go to their coverage map and zoom in one more level, it will show a color map instead of dots. Try that and it should work.

January 27, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I was looking at a Sprint tower yesterday, this after getting a text from Sprint saying the LTE network was almost complete in my area. 4.8mb. Standing looking at the tower.

Ok, sitting in a car in a parking lot 1500 feet from the tower, but you get my point. It’s better than 1.5mbit, but not much faster than good 3G.

My area where they’re doing upgrades the service is so bad I’ve gone completely back to the Airave, and I’m less than a mile to the tower. Then again, they put the tower at the valley/bottom of two hills, so that might explain why the signal is atrocious…

January 28, 2014 at 6:38 am

I feel fortunate because I get consistent 18 – 20mbps 4G LTE indoors and outdoors. I do have line of site (<1/2 mile) to the antenna array and it's on top of an office building so I know the hardware and antennas are positioned very close together.

January 27, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Camden, NJ? What a joke! It’s in the top 10 most dangerous cities on the US. Nobody goes there, no business in the area, population on a steady decline. It’s a hood rat infested pit. Sounds like a prime candidate from Sprint LTE.

January 27, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Sprint only puts up one tower to say they’ve “lit up” a city with LTE. Then, you have to be outdoors and within a very close proximity to the tower to get dial up speeds! I can’t wait until November, when I will finally be able to get rid of Sprint and their ever-feeble LIES!

January 27, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Just curious, why are u waiting? TMobile and ATT to some degree will pay for you to leave now.

I pray Sprint/Hesse is not in charge if they somehow approve the merger. What an abysmal failure.

Sprint embarasses themselves every time they announce more markets. Nothing but an avalanche of complaints in every tech forum there is.

January 28, 2014 at 6:30 am

I’d be willing to bet they chose Colorado Springs just so they could put that giant dot on Colorado in an attempt to lead people to believe there actually is LTE in Denver.

Left for tmo when they announced they’d pay my ETF earlier this month and haven’t looked back. This after waiting nearly two years for LTE in the other city in Colorado that has 3 million more people than the one sprint chose to be the lucky LTE winner of the state.

January 28, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I still cant believe that Denver isn’t on this list. They have been testing it here for a while, I can usually pick up LTE on the northeast side of town in Thornton/Commerce City and by the Airport. Speeds are not great, I don’t understand how Sprint can average 3mbps as their LTE speeds when other carries 3G speeds are faster (I was getting over 3mbps on T-Mobiles old 3G network 5 years ago). But I guess when you’re used to averaging less than .50mbps on Sprints 3G anything about 2mbps seems fast and amazing.

I guess Sprints claim that their LTE is 10x faster could be true. .50 x 10 = 5mbps

Although I just renewed my contract with Sprint last month I am seriously considering switching back to T-Mobile and taking advantage of their ETF deal.

January 28, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Seriously, I’ve been with Sprint (or its predecessors) for 19 years and have paid for the premium data since day 1 on my OG Evo4g and now Evo4g LTE, yet never had 4G or LTE in any area I live or work. It’s ridiculous and the greatest motivator to dump Sprint when contract ends.

These maps infuriate me, that they can justifiable charge me month after month for premium data I;ve never once received.

January 29, 2014 at 4:32 am

I’m in Dayton, Oh and they have been upgrading my area. And by upgrade I mean I get 4g signal or else 1x. And even then the 4g has maxed out at 2Mbps. It is normally 1Mbps when I test it out. I’m glad they are getting 4G out, but the speed is just horrible. My work phone on Verizon got 30Mbps with 15Mbps down. I just hope sprint picks up their game. The network just feels useless at times. I can’t wait to upgrade from the EVOLTE. I loved the phone but I’m unsure now if it’s the phone or just sprint’s crappy network that is making everything slow.
    I’m sticking with sprint for now since I’d rather have unlimited data then have a cap which I could hit in no time.

January 29, 2014 at 8:30 am

Detroit, MI here… I received text last week about upgrade, and called Sprint a few weeks back to complain. I have started seeing 4g regularly, but the data speeds are enough to make you scream. Today DL: 1.50 mps, UL 0.71. Maybe playing wth servers will improve results.

January 29, 2014 at 10:40 pm

All I can say is if you want to know what is going on with the rollout s4gru.com is the best place hands down to get information from. You all are getting slow speeds because Sprint is still trying to get the 3G and LTE upgrades done on 1900mhz, they have not turned on 800mhz LTE yet anywhere in the country and they still have a long ways to go to get 2600mhz more wide spread. 2600 is what they refer to when they say spark.

January 30, 2014 at 1:09 pm

If you’re still on Sprint and want to leave, T-Mobile (or AT&T if you’re into them) will literally pay you to leave. Don’t wait until your contract ends, leave now before that promo ends. I left Sprint in August before the promo and wish I could’ve got this deal.

January 31, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Here in Portland/Beaverton oregon, I’m with Sprint and it totally sucks!! In the Lloyd District (2 miles) from downtown portland, all the sprint users in my office are seeing ~.30 mb/s on 4GLTE. Tmobile users are seeing 10 – 15 mb/s. In Beaverton, I don’t get 4gLTE, and dropped calls are normal on 3 different Sprint phones. In SE portland, I barely get .5 mbs. My Friend with the T Mobile phone gets around 23 mb/s. I CAN’T WAIT to leave Sprint. I tell everyone to look the other way. I tried talking to Sprint store employees about the slow speeds, one responded ” That’s why we have Wifi in the store “. And, something about another bulls**t promise called SPARC. Sheeesh.

February 1, 2014 at 1:18 pm

My original EVO 4G has Wimax in Fresno, CA. Right where I work.