StreakSmart

Unlocked Dell Streak said to support AT&T and T-Mobile 3G

Streak-tmo-att Despite Dell's previous statement that the Streak would "not be certified for T-Mobile operation," I've recently heard from a reliable tipster with a proven track record that the upcoming unlocked units will support the 3G networks of both AT&T (850/1900MHz) and T-Mobile (1700/2100MHz).

Currently, the AT&T-locked Streak can be unlocked for use on T-Mobile via an unlock code or Rebel Sim, but because the device lacks the 1700MHz UMTS band, it can only be used for voice and EDGE data on T-Mobile. The only Streaks that can properly access T-Mo's 3G network are the elusive AWS variants, and those are so rare that they may as well not even exist.

The new unlocked Streak shipping with Froyo, however, is said to be busting out of the gate with quadband 3G bands blazing.

It wouldn't make sense for Dell to start selling the Streak unlocked if it would still only work with AT&T 3G, especially since obtaining an unlock code for the current device requires little more than a phone call to AT&T, so although information from a tipster shouldn't be taken as an official announcement, I'm fully expecting to see all four 3G bands listed in the updated specs for the unlocked Streaks. Unfortunately, the estimated ship date for the new carrier-free Streaks has quietly slipped from 12/8 (shown here) to 12/13, so there's no telling when we'll find out for sure.

Thanks, anonymous tipster!

47 thoughts on “Unlocked Dell Streak said to support AT&T and T-Mobile 3G

• That’s awesome!
    Suddenly my piggy bank is quivering in the corner. Dell, you may see my money yet!

• Sorry to tell you but I think you got a bum tip this time. Or at least a fault one. If a 3G T-Mo version is released it will be a seperate device. You won’t have a single phone with both AT&T and T-Mo’s 3G capabilities. This is based off of the N.A. Band frequencies. The AWS frequency is interlaced with the 1900 UMTS band frequencies. No one has yet been able to release a phone with both versions even though quad 3G has been available for some time now. There a lot of technical mumble jumble to go with that but it would take up too much time. It is nice to know that a T-Mo capable version might be released soon though.

• Talking about shipping date, I ordered the unlocked Streak on November 26 and it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. The original expected delivery date was December 21, but was updated to November 30. It is in transit now as indicated by the tracking number Dell sent me.

• I ordered a carrier free (unlocked) Streak on Black Friday. When I ordered it Dell said the estimated ship date was 12/8. I Just checked my account page on dell.com and it says it was already shipped and is out for delivery today.

I was exited too until I use the chat option and asked if the new unlocked streak supports T-Mobile bands 1700/2100MHz (I’m waiting to buy 2, for the wife and I). I receive a quick response stating that it is AT&T bands only. Very disappointing!

• Another “thank you” from Dell and AT&T to the early purchasers of the Streak.

Anyone that uses a new one with the 2.2, let us know. We are still WAITING fir at&t/dell to let us have 2.2 in the states

“No one has yet been able to release a phone with both versions even though quad 3G has been available for some time now.”

Actually, the Nokia N8 is a pentaband device, with 3G support for both AT&T and T-Mobile.

I would sell my eu streak with the quickness, IF Dell starts selling a tmobile aws streak. Hope the rumor is true, but I have my doubts. Wouldnt we have heard of this pentaband streak getting FCC beforehand?

I meant FCC approval.

• Dell has certified a version of the Streak that uses T-Mobile’s 3G frequencies. Plus, to counter your “no phone” argument, the Vibrant (Samsung Galaxy S for T-Mobile) is said to be unlockable, and usable on AT&T’s service with 3G availability.

OTOH, I know several Dell reps who have unlocked phones (purchased months ago via Dell internal channels), and those phones do not do 3G on T-mobile–I know first hand, as I’ve tried my T-Mobile SIM card in them.

• If its true – does that mean Bell mobility compatibility in Canada as well please?

• Just received my “2.2 unlocked” yea it was neither and I paid the $30 upcharge. On the phone with Dell right now.

• @Jon: by neither, do you mean neither unlocked nor 3G on T-Mobile?

• @Jon – let us know the outcome of your conversation with Dell. I have a feeling we’re all going to be in the same boat. I knew the early shipping date was too good to be true…

• there may be a few less Dell CS reps as everytime I deal with them I get transferred left and right and disconnected all the time.

• it doesn’t look good. i’m being told December 8th is when they should be shipping with 2.2 even tho I paid the $30 premium. So I’m just gonna EU baseband this and update to 2.2 that way and get my $30 money check back. GRRR. I HATE DELL but I love this phone.

• Rob,

Check out Nokia N8 and read the specs :) phone can use both T mobile and ATT 3G out of the box. now the question is can dell do the same i don’t think so because their mobile dept is screwed up but you never know

• Thanks Jon…I bought the ATT locked Streak from Best Buy 2 weeks ago but returned it when I heard Dell was selling unlocked 2.2 Streaks. If they sent me another locked 1.6 phone I’m going to send it back because I really want the unlocked one.

• The Streak I purchased is running baseband 00 so I tried the update from the link on Streaksmart directly and it is now downloading 2.2 as I type. So maybe they don’t come with 2.2 loaded on but you can go to the link and start it yourself.

• The specs showing for the Vibrant are only dual band 1700 2100 UMTS. with ATT GSM bands. If you can find a different set of bands for it please post the link.

• The N8 actually has 5 UMTS bands assigned to it. There isn’t a chip that can do that so that means there are 2 versions of the phone.

I think native baseband 00 is unlocked.
    Am I wrong?

• I guess it is. So that means they are shipping the unlocked ones, just not with 2.2 preloaded. You have to do the minimal work for it.

• Very interesting. It could be possible that the Vibrant actually has a tri band UMTS. Perhaps 850 1700 2100. That would explain using The ATT 3G if they were in an area that supported the 850 frequency. This is the first time I have heard of this happening. It still doesn’t prove full support for the 850 1900 bands but I’m going to search for more info.

• Ok I got it backwards. When unlocked it will support ATT 1900 UMTS band for 3G but the 850 ATT UMTS band is not accessible. I didn’t want to get into a detailed expaination of the UMTS bands but it must be the 850 band that actually interferes with the 1700 AWS.

• You want the ATT Streak version for 3G Bell. No GSM support though you shouldn’t need it with their network. You just need to get an unlocked one.

• I guess I should clarify that that means that the Rogers Streak will also work if it’s unlocked. Same unlocked version is also compatible with Telus.

• Well was just contacted by a Dell rep about my posts on here. We’ll see what they want to say to me.

• Waiting for mine to be delivered today. I’ll post an update to let you guys know of 2.2 comes pre-installed (if FedEx ever comes).

• Me too, but I got a car dock with it. Roomie said fedex arrived but he didnt hear the door (>.<) so it's at the fedex facility. I figured this is just the car dock.

• My unlocked w/2.2 is suppose to come tomorrow (Dec 1st). Hopefully it comes with froyo pre-installed.

• OK, so mine came last night. The baseband is indeed unlocked but it does not come with 2.2 pre-installed. It comes with 1.6. The first thing I did when I booted it up was go to settings and check for updates. The update was available and took about 30 minutes to download and 5-10 minutes to install. My Streak is now running Froyo.

• Thanks Shane for the info.
    Mine is currently on the FedEx truck waiting for it to be delivered.

Will do the update as soon as it arrives.

Shane, are you on TMobile or on AT&T? If you are on TMobile, does it work on TMobile’s 3g network?

• I’m on AT&T. I’m not sure how to determine if the phone works with T-Mobile 3G other than getting someone else who has T-Mobile to put their SIM in my phone. If you know of another way, I’ll find out for you.

Shane, the only way to find out would be to put TMobile SIM. As long as I know. I do have Streak which I got when it was launched and got it unlocked from AT&T, but it does not have 3g band support which is used by TMobile.

• OK, today’s supposed to be the ship date. Has anyone gotten anything yet (shipping notice or actual phone)?

• I’m also very curious, if people got there unlock units and loaded with 2.2. And most of all if the unlocked 2.2 units are able to use tmo’s aws bands.

Looking forward to some good news from you all. and thanks for keeping us updated. :)

• I got my unlocked Streak runing Android 2.2 from Dell 3 days ago and put in my T-Mobile sim card and I am only getting EDGE, NO 3G.
    I don’t know anything aobut setting up the radios but I do know that the settings on my original T-mobile device (Google G1) are different than what are shown on the Streak when I put in the card. I’m going to return it in the next few days if I can’t make it work with 3G.

• Just got mine today … specs on the website say it supports 2100mhz (T-mobs’ 3G) but I’m only getting edge .. no 3G …8(

Jenn…. I just spoke to a “supervisor” in the mobility dept with Dell who did not seem to get the supreme stupidity of Dell releasing an “unlocked” phone that still does not get 3G on Tmobile.

When I pointed out this nonsense to her…. she just said that since Dell is under contract with AT&T for the streak they didn’t have to make it useable and in fact would not make it useable with other carriers…

So I said what is the purpose of releasing an unlocked version in the US when Tmobile is the ONLY other GSM carrier?

Obviously, this is some sort of marketing ploy by the geniuses at Dell…. to make people THINK they can use it with the only other GSM carrier in the US… but not be able to.

I can not get AT&T service where I live, but Tmo works great… ergo, I need to be able to use it on Tmo. (Ironically, I faced a similar issue w/the Galaxy Tab (which I purchased and returned) where the AT&T unit has been flashed for phone, but Tmo when flashed for phone can only get 2G data…)

I have searched and searched to see if there is a way to flash a 1700 radio band on the Streak, but have found nothing… if someone knows a way to do it… pls let me know.

The Tab has the advantage for flashing in that there are many Galaxy S phone from which to get modem bins to flash… not the case with the Streak.

So Dell, you guys just lost a sale.